Early Origins of the Reidpath family
The surname Reidpath was first found in Berwickshire
where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Scotland
to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Reidpath family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Reidpath research.Another 233 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1376, 1547, 1602, 1597 and 1602 are included under the topic Early Reidpath History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Reidpath Spelling Variations
During the era when a person's name, tribe and posterity was one of his most important possessions, many different spellings were found in the archives examined. Reidpath occurred in many references, and spelling variations
of the name found included Redpath, Ridpath, Reidpath, Ridpeth, Redpeth and others.
Early Notables of the Reidpath family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Reidpath Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Reidpath family to Ireland
Some of the Reidpath family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 103 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Reidpath family to the New World and Oceana
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland
many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of illness and the elements, were buried at sea. In North America, early immigrants bearing the family name Reidpath, or a spelling variation of the surname include:
Reidpath Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- G. A. Reidpath, aged 31, who arrived in America from London, England, in 1892
- Mr. G. A. Reidpath, aged 34, who arrived in America from London, England, in 1896
Reidpath Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Robert J. Reidpath, aged 53, who arrived in America, in 1910
- Katherine Reidpath, aged 64, who arrived in Buffalo, N. Y., in 1910
- Mary F. Reidpath, aged 49, who arrived in America, in 1910
- Charles D. Reidpath, aged 22, who arrived in Buffalo, New York, in 1912
Contemporary Notables of the name Reidpath (post 1700)
- Robert J. Reidpath, American architectural engineer from Buffalo, New York who designed the first Franklin manufacturing plant for the Franklin Automobile Company in 1902
- Charles Decker Reidpath (1889-1975), American two-time gold medalist athlete at the 1912 Summer Olympics
- Stuart Reidpath, English train model maker, best known for producing the first Tank Engine Thomas engine in 1948 and later the first Percy train in 1949
- Alan C. Reidpath, Canadian poet, author of Musings of a Mossback and regular contributor to "The Islamic Review" Magazine