100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Reedy family come from? What is the Scottish Reedy family crest and coat of arms? When did the Reedy family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Reedy family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Reddy, Reddie, Readdie, Reedie, Reidie and others.
First found in Angus (Gaelic: Aonghas), part of the Tayside region of northeastern Scotland, and present day Council Area of Angus, formerly known as Forfar or Forfarshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Reedy research. Another 153 words(11 lines of text) covering the year 1681 is included under the topic Early Reedy History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Reedy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Reedy family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 232 words(17 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Reedy Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Reedy, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1827
- Michael J Reedy, who arrived in New York, NY in 1851
- Dan Reedy, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Bridget Reedy, aged 26, who landed in America from Queenstown, in 1892
Reedy Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Catherine Reedy, aged 5, who emigrated to the United States from Liverpool, England, in 1907
- Ellen Reedy, aged 30, who landed in America from Liverpool, England, in 1907
- Hugh Reedy, aged 8, who settled in America from Liverpool, England, in 1907
- Edwin P. Reedy, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1910
- Bayard J. Reedy, aged 33, who settled in America, in 1911
Reedy Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Harry Jardin Reedy, aged 36, who settled in Toronto, Canada, in 1915
Reedy Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Margaret Reedy, aged 22, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Navarino"
- Mary Reedy, aged 28, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Nashwauk"
- Patrick Reedy, aged 20, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Caucasian"
- Rear Admiral James R. Reedy, United States Navy Commander, U.S. Naval Support Force, Antarctica, from November 1962 until April 1965, eponym of the Reedy Glacier
- Edward K. Reedy, American director of the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) from 1998 to 2003
- Thomas E. Reedy (b. 1868), American politician
- Charles "Chuck" Reedy (b. 1949), former American football player and coach in the United States
- George Edward Reedy (1917-1999), White House Press Secretary from 1964 to 1965
- Jamil Omar Hatem Abdulalem Jamil El Reedy (b. 1965), retired Egyptian alpine skier
- Paul Reedy (b. 1961), Australian silver medalist rower at the 1984 Summer Olympics
- Winston Reedy, Jamaican singer
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
The Reedy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Reedy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 November 2014 at 19:48.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!