on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Ramsden family come from? What is the English Ramsden family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ramsden family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ramsden family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Ramsden comes from when the family resided in the village of Ramsden found in various locations in England including the counties of Essex, Oxford, Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire. This local name was originally derived from the Old English word ramden which refers to those individuals who lived in the small glen.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Ramsden include Ramsden, Ramsdon and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ramsden research. Another 173 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1612, 1665, 1659, 1660, 1648, 1690, 1st and 1689 are included under the topic Early Ramsden History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 67 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ramsden Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Ramsden family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 47 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Ramsden Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Ramsden, who came to Virginia in 1642
- Jon Ramsden, who landed in Virginia in 1642
- Margaret Ramsden, who arrived in Barbados with her husband in 1665
Ramsden Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mary Ramsden, her husband and four children, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1820
- John Ramsden, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1863
- Thomas Ramsden, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1866
- James Ramsden, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1868
- William Ramsden, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1872
Ramsden Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfred Ramsden, aged 29, who landed in America from Sheffield, in 1904
- Clara Ramsden, aged 42, who landed in America from Huddersfield, in 1905
- Arthur Ramsden, aged 21, who emigrated to America from Leeds, in 1906
- Caryl John Ramsden, aged 38, who landed in America from London, England, in 1907
- Annie Ramsden, aged 32, who settled in America from Manchester, England, in 1909
Ramsden Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George Ramsden arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Simlah" in 1849
Ramsden Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Abraham Ramsden arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "African" in 1860
- James Ramsden arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "British King" in 1883
- Marvin Lee Ramsden (1919-1942), American seaman killed in action, eponym of the USS Ramsden (DE-382)
- Frances Ramsden (1920-2000), American actress
- Barney Ramsden (1917-1990), English professional footballer
- Jesse Ramsden (1735-1800), English astronomical and scientific instrument maker
- James Edward Ramsden (b. 1923), British politician, Secretary of State for War (1963-1964)
- William Havelock Ramsden (b. 1888), British Army commander during the Second World War
- Eugene Joseph Squire Hargreaves Ramsden (1883-1955), British politician, 1st Baron Ramsden
- George Taylor Ramsden (1879-1936), British soldier, member of the U.K. parliament
- Horace Edward Ramsden (1878-1948), South African recipient of the Victoria Cross for deeds in the Boer War
- Sir James Ramsden (1822-1896), British civil engineer, industrialist, and civic leader
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
The Ramsden Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ramsden Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 September 2015 at 21:23.
on orders of $85 or more