Ramsdell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
In ancient Anglo-Saxon England, the ancestors of the Ramsdell surname lived in the village of Ramsden found in various locations in England including the counties of Essex, Oxford, Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire. This local name was originally derived from the Old English word ramden which refers to those individuals who lived in the small glen.
Early Origins of the Ramsdell family
The surname Ramsdell was first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Ramsdell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ramsdell research. Another 87 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1612, 1665, 1659, 1660, 1648, 1690, 1st and 1689 are included under the topic Early Ramsdell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ramsdell Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Ramsdell are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Ramsdell include: Ramsden, Ramsdon and others.
Early Notables of the Ramsdell family (pre 1700)
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ramsdell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ramsdell family to Ireland
Some of the Ramsdell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ramsdell migration to the United States +
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Ramsdell or a variant listed above:
Ramsdell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Ramsdell, who landed in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1638 
Ramsdell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- T Ramsdell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- B H Ramsdell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1872 
- Carl Ramsdell, aged 11, who settled in America, in 1893
- Daniel Ramsdell, aged 14, who immigrated to America, in 1893
- Edyth Ramsdell, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States, in 1894
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Ramsdell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alice Ramsdell, who landed in America, in 1908
- Charlotte Ramsdell, aged 10, who landed in America, in 1909
- Edward R. Ramsdell, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1909
- Bessie A. Ramsdell, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States, in 1912
- Charles C. Ramsdell, aged 49, who immigrated to the United States, in 1919
Contemporary Notables of the name Ramsdell (post 1700) +
- Frederick Winthrop Ramsdell (1865-1915), American landscape and poster artist
- Heather Ramsdell, American poet and playwright
- Jay Ramsdell (1964-1965), American Commissioner of the Continental Basketball Association (CBA)
- George Allen Ramsdell (1834-1900), American lawyer, businessman, and Republican politician from Nashua, New Hampshire
- Thomas Jefferson Ramsdell (1833-1917), American entrepreneur and politician, Michigan State Representative in 1861, eponym of The Ramsdell Theatre, Manistee, Michigan
- James Willard Ramsdell (1916-1969), American Major League Baseball pitcher
Historic Events for the Ramsdell family +
- Mr. Millard A. Ramsdell, American Ensign working aboard the ship "USS Arizona" when she sunk during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7th December 1941, he survived the sinking 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Pearl Harbour: USS Arizona Casualties List Pearl Harbour December 7, 1941. (Retrieved 2018, July 31st). Retrieved from http://pearl-harbor.com/arizona/casualtylist.html