Prettyman is a name whose history is entwined with the ancient Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. It was a name for a crafty or cunning individual. Further research revealed that the name is derived from the Old English word prætig,
which meant crafty. Some variants of the name have the suffix man
appended to them; this seems to have occurred sometime in the late 15th or early 16th centuries.
Early Origins of the Prettyman family
The surname Prettyman was first found in Staffordshire
where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Prettyman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Prettyman research.Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1192, 1st , 1612, 1676, 1661 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Prettyman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Prettyman Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred
years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations
are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon
surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Prettyman were recorded, including Prettyman, Pretyman, Pretty and others.
Early Notables of the Prettyman family (pre 1700)
Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Prettyman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Prettyman family to the New World and Oceana
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England
went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Prettyman family emigrate to North America:
Prettyman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Prettyman, who landed in Virginia in 1656 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Prettyman (post 1700)
- Tristan Prettyman (b. 1982), American singer-songwriter and former Roxy model from San Diego, California
- Horace Greely Prettyman (1857-1945), American football player in the early years of the sport
- Elijah Barrett Prettyman (1830-1907), American second principal of Maryland State Normal School (now Towson University)
- E. Barrett Prettyman (1891-1971), United States federal judge
- Alfred Prettyman (b. 1935), American publisher
Prettyman Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)