100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Preddy comes from a name for a crafty or cunning individual. Further research revealed that the name is derived from the Old English word prętig, which meant crafty. Some variants of the name have the suffix man appended to them; this seems to have occurred sometime in the late 15th or early 16th centuries.
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Preddy include Prettyman, Pretyman, Pretty and others.
First found in Staffordshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Preddy research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1192, 1st , 1612, 1676, 1661 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Preddy History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Preddy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Preddy Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Walter Preddy, English convict from Bristol, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on September 3rd, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Austraila
- James Preddy, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on February 22, 1834, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
Preddy Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- George Preddy, aged 32, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Elizabeth Preddy, aged 30, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Elizabeth Preddy, aged 5, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Mark Preddy, aged 4, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Jessie Preddy, aged 2, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Sarann Knight- Preddy (1920-2014), born Sarann Childs, an American business leader and gaming pioneer in the state of Nevada; she became the "first and only woman of color to receive a gaming license" in the state in 1950
- Major George Preddy (1919-1944), USAAF United States Army Air Forces officer during World War II credited with 26.83 aerial victorees ranking him as the top P-51 Mustang ace of World War II
- Richard Preddy, British Writers' Guild of Great Britain Award wining comedy writer and performer, known for his work on Green Wing (2004), Tracey Ullman: A Class Act (1992) and Smack the Pony (1999)
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
The Preddy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Preddy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 January 2016 at 15:09.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!