on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Preddy comes from a name for a crafty or cunning individual. Further research revealed that the name is derived from the Old English word prętig,
which meant crafty. Some variants of the name have the suffix man
appended to them; this seems to have occurred sometime in the late 15th or early 16th centuries.
The surname Preddy was first found in Staffordshire
where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Preddy include Prettyman, Pretyman, Pretty and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Preddy research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1192, 1st , 1612, 1676, 1661 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Preddy History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Preddy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Preddy Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Walter Preddy, English convict from Bristol, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on September 3rd, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Austraila
- James Preddy, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on February 22, 1834, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
Preddy Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- George Preddy, aged 32, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Elizabeth Preddy, aged 30, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Elizabeth Preddy, aged 5, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Mark Preddy, aged 4, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Jessie Preddy, aged 2, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Sarann Knight- Preddy (1920-2014), born Sarann Childs, an American business leader and gaming pioneer in the state of Nevada; she became the "first and only woman of color to receive a gaming license" in the state in 1950
- Major George Preddy (1919-1944), USAAF United States Army Air Forces officer during World War II credited with 26.83 aerial victorees ranking him as the top P-51 Mustang ace of World War II
- Richard Preddy, British Writers' Guild of Great Britain Award wining comedy writer and performer, known for his work on Green Wing (2004), Tracey Ullman: A Class Act (1992) and Smack the Pony (1999)
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Preddy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Preddy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 January 2016 at 15:09.
on orders of $85 or more