100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Prater surname comes from the word Latin "praetor," and was a term used for a reeve, the chief magistrate or bailiff of a district.
The surname Prater was first found in Lincolnshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1150 when Willelmus Pretor held estates in that shire.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Prater, Preater, Prather, Pretor, Prether and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Prater research. Another 276 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1208, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Prater History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Prater Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Prater Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Prater, who settled in Virginia in 1622
- Thomas Prater, who landed in Virginia in 1622
- Henry Prater, who settled in Barbados in 1666
- Israll Prater, a servant sent to Virginia in 1667
- Maren Prater, who arrived in Virginia in 1697
Prater Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Prater, who arrived in New York in 1836
- Charles Prater, who came to Santa Clara Co. CA in 1861
- Ceclia Prater, aged 49, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Nicholas Prater, aged 49, who landed in America, in 1895
Prater Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- L. Richard Prater, who landed in America, in 1904
- Louis Prater, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States from New Quay, England, in 1906
- Emma Prater, aged 36, who landed in America, in 1911
- J.M. Prater, aged 50, who emigrated to America, in 1919
- W. R. Prater, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1921
Prater Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- John Prater, who settled in Newfoundland in 1622
Prater Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Isaac Prater, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Reliance"
Prater Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Prater, aged 21, arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Inverness" in 1875
- Ollie Joe Prater (d. 1991), American stand-up comedian and television personality who appeared frquently on The Tonight Show
- Shaun Prater (b. 1989), American NFL football cornerback for the Cincinnati Bengals
- Troy Dean Prater (1958-1996), professional American football player
- Kyle Prater (b. 1992), American football wide receiver
- Wesley E. Prater, American Democrat politician, Supervisor of Ypsilanti Township, Michigan, 1988-96; Defeated in primary, 1996; Washtenaw County Commissioner, 2001-06, 2009-
- Jeff Prater, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kentucky, 1896
- Diana L. Prater, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1984
- Matthew Phillip "Matt" Prater (b. 1984), American NFL football placekicker for the Denver Broncos
- David Prater (1937-1988), American musician
- Ernest Prater (1864-1950), English artist, book illustrator and war correspondent, best known for his many illustrations during the Anglo-Boer War
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
The Prater Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Prater Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 December 2015 at 00:39.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!