Early Origins of the Pittendreigh family
The surname Pittendreigh was first found in Aberdeenshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland
, where they held a family seat
. However, This ancient Clan
, known as Pittendreich of that Ilk, conjecturally was most likely to be from Moravia, and came to Scotland
in the train of Queen Margeret, second wife (1069) of King Canmore.
Queen Margeret, herself a royal refugee, was a learned churchwoman. She was appalled by the barbaric state of the Royal Scottish court. She recruited many European nobles, mostly Norman, but traveled as far east as Silesia and Moravia. Among them was Malcolm de Moravia who invited John of Pethindreich to witness a charter passing the lands of Lamebryde to his son William de Moray in 1278.
It was customary to invite relations or "friendly" important witnesses, men and women of stature, to affix their seals and names to such transactions, thus it is likely that John of Pethindreich was either a relative, or a very close friend and Chief of his Clan. Since Malcolm of Moravia was still carrying the territorial name his ancestors acquired in 1070 it must be assumed he was a large landowner who chose not to identify with a single property, i.e. Lambryde and possibly that also of the original Pittendreich.
Early History of the Pittendreigh family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pittendreigh research.Another 134 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1400, 1410, 1478, 1600, 1678, 1572 and 1578 are included under the topic Early Pittendreigh History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pittendreigh Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Pittendreigh, Pittendrich, Pittendrigh, Petyndricht, Pettindrecht, Petindrech, Peddendreycht, Pithendreich and many more.
Early Notables of the Pittendreigh family (pre 1700)
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Pittendreigh Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pittendreigh family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pittendreigh Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agnes Pittendreigh, aged 30, who landed in America from Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1920
- Alexander W. Pittendreigh, aged 0, who settled in America from Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1920
- Alexander Watt Pittendreigh, aged 30, who landed in America from Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1920
Pittendreigh Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Christian Pittendreigh, who settled in Ontario in 1843
Contemporary Notables of the name Pittendreigh (post 1700)
- The Rev. Dr. W. Maynard Pittendreigh (b. 1954), American minister, astronomer and writer
- Fred Pittendreigh, Canadian General Manager of the Chase Chiefs, a former junior 'B' ice hockey team from Chase, British Columbia
- Bill Pittendreigh, President of the Southern Textile Association (1956)