on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Many variations of the name Phelan have evolved since the time of its initial creation. In Gaelic it appeared as O Faoilain, which is derived from the word faol, which means wolf.
The surname Phelan was first found in County Waterford
(Irish: Port Láirge), anciently the Deise region, on the South coast of Ireland
in the Province of Munster.
Before widespread literacy came to Ireland, a name was often recorded under several different variations during the life of its bearer. Accordingly, numerous spelling variations were revealed in the search for the origin of the name Phelan family name. Variations found include Phelan, O'Phelan, Whelan, O'Failin, Phalen, Phalon, Phaelan and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Phelan research. Another 204 words (15 lines of text) covering the year 1172 is included under the topic Early Phelan History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
More information is included under the topic Early Phelan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Thousands of Irish families
left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Phelan:
Phelan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Margaret Phelan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Patrick Phelan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Thomas Phelan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Edward Phelan, aged 44, landed in Maryland in 1813
- William Phelan, aged 29, arrived in Louisiana in 1813
Phelan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Phelan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1805
- Robert Phelan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1818
- Bridget Phelan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1820
- Denis Phelan, aged 14, landed in Canada in 1823
- Ellen Phelan, aged 7, arrived in Canada in 1823
Phelan Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Phelan, aged 24, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Phoebe Dunbar"
- Mary Phelan, aged 22, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Epaminondas"
- Anthony Phelan, aged 36, a ploughman, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Hyderabad"
- Bridget Phelan, aged 19, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Confiance"
- Bessy Phelan, aged 25, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Velocity"
Phelan Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- F. Mary Phelan arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Oliver Lang" in 1858
- James P. Phelan arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- Julia Phelan arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- Mary Phelan arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- Catherine Phelan arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- Tony Phelan, American two-time Emmy Award nominated television screenwriter, producer and director, best known for his work on Grey's Anatomy
- Pat Phelan (b. 1985), American soccer player
- George R. Phelan, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Puerto Cabello, 1919-32; Maracaibo, 1934; Caracas, 1938-43
- Ellen Skae Phelan (1905-1985), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1960,Candidate in primary for Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Michigan 7th District, 1964
- Dennis A. Phelan, American politician, U.S. Collector of Customs, 1941
- Daniel A. Phelan, American Democrat politician, Chair of Elk County Democratic Party, 1937
- Anna M. Phelan, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Alhambra, California, 1892-96
- Andrew F. Phelan, American politician, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of New York, 1968-69
- J. Francis Phelan, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Iowa, 1948
- James Phelan (1821-1873), American politician, Member of Mississippi State Senate, 1860; Senator from Mississippi in the Confederate Congress, 1862-64
- Mr. Luke John Phelan (1843-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Phelan,Malone, Kevill, Stutz & Klaes Families by John T. Phelan.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Phelan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Phelan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 July 2016 at 14:34.
on orders of $85 or more