100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Phelan family come from? What is the Irish Phelan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Phelan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Phelan family history?Many variations of the name Phelan have evolved since the time of its initial creation. In Gaelic it appeared as O Faoilain, which is derived from the word faol, which means wolf.
Before widespread literacy came to Ireland, a name was often recorded under several different variations during the life of its bearer. Accordingly, numerous spelling variations were revealed in the search for the origin of the name Phelan family name. Variations found include Phelan, O'Phelan, Whelan, O'Failin, Phalen, Phalon, Phaelan and many more.
First found in County Waterford (Irish: Port Láirge), anciently the Deise region, on the South coast of Ireland in the Province of Munster.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Phelan research. Another 204 words(15 lines of text) covering the year 1172 is included under the topic Early Phelan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Phelan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Phelan:
Phelan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Margaret Phelan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Patrick Phelan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Thomas Phelan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Edward Phelan, aged 44, landed in Maryland in 1813
- William Phelan, aged 29, arrived in Louisiana in 1813
Phelan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Phelan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1805
- Robert Phelan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1818
- Bridget Phelan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1820
- Denis Phelan, aged 14, landed in Canada in 1823
- Ellen Phelan, aged 7, arrived in Canada in 1823
Phelan Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Phelan, aged 24, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Phoebe Dunbar"
- Mary Phelan, aged 22, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Epaminondas"
- Anthony Phelan, aged 36, a ploughman, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Hyderabad"
- Bridget Phelan, aged 19, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Confiance"
- Bessy Phelan, aged 25, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Velocity"
Phelan Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- F. Mary Phelan arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Oliver Lang" in 1858
- James P. Phelan arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- Julia Phelan arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- Mary Phelan arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- Catherine Phelan arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1864
- Edward J. Phelan (1888-1967), Director-General of the United Nations International Labor Office
- James Phelan Sr. (1821-1873), American politician, senator in the Confederate Congress during the American Civil War
- James Phelan Jr. (1856-1891), American politician, U.S. Senator from Tennessee
- Pat Phelan (b. 1985), American soccer player
- Tony Phelan, American two-time Emmy Award nominated television screenwriter, producer and director, best known for his work on Grey's Anatomy
- Kieran Phelan (1950-2010), Irish senator
- Kevin Phelan (b. 1990), Irish professional PGA golfer
- Nancy Phelan (1913-2008), Australian writer
- Anita Phelan (b. 1982), British folk singer
- Anne Phelan OAM (b. 1944), Australian actress
- Phelan,Malone, Kevill, Stutz & Klaes Families by John T. Phelan.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
The Phelan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Phelan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 December 2014 at 12:00.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!