Pharis History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Pharis family
The surname Pharis was first found in Lanarkshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow, where they held a family seat at Rutherglen from early times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066. An ancient couplet says "nae man can tell, nae man has seen, when the Faries Haena in Ruglen been." A rough translation of this couplet: "no man can remember when there hasn't been a family of Faries at Rutherglen." 
Early History of the Pharis family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pharis research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1296 and are included under the topic Early Pharis History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pharis Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fairie, Fairrie, Farie, Fairey, Ferry, Ferrie, Fairy, Faireye and many more.
Early Notables of the Pharis family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Pharis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pharis family to Ireland
Some of the Pharis family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 77 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pharis family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: James Fairey settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1772; James, Joseph and Robert Ferry arrived in Virginia in 1774; Andrew, Bernard, Charles, Francis, George, James, John, Michael, Miles, Patrick Ferry, all arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1840 and 1860. In Newfoundland, Patrick Ferry settled in Bona Vista in 1830.
Contemporary Notables of the name Pharis (post 1700) +
- William "Billy" Pharis (b. 1981), Lebanese American basketball player
- William L. Pharis and Karen A. Pharis, American co-owners of KFPW (1230 AM, "The Marshal"), a radio station broadcasting a talk radio format in Fort Smith, Arkansas
- Mark Pharis, American ceramic artist and professor residing in Roberts, Wisconsin
- Bertha Pharis, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Missouri, 1924 
Related Stories +
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, March 16) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html