Oswell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Oswell surname in Ireland generally derives from the name of a Norman family, originally from the area of Houssaye in the Seine-Maritime region of Normandy. The name was sometimes converted into Gaelic as Ó hEodhusa, and from that, was re-Anglicized, occasionally into Oswell.
Early Origins of the Oswell family
The surname Oswell was first found in County Meath (Irish: An Mhí) anciently part of the kingdom of Brega, located in Eastern Ireland, in the province of Leinster where bearers of the name acquire extensive lands near Dublin from Hugo de Lacy. The name had first come from Normandy to England, where a family held a family seat at Kent where they were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy.
Early History of the Oswell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Oswell research. Another 73 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1294, 1550, 1569, 1612, and 1614 are included under the topic Early Oswell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Oswell Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: O'Hosey, Ohosey, Hussey, Hosey, Oswell and others.
Early Notables of the Oswell family (pre 1700)
Another 49 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Oswell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Oswell family to Ireland
Some of the Oswell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Oswell migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Oswell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Oswell, who settled in Virginia in 1716
- Joseph Oswell, who arrived in Virginia in 1716 
Oswell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Nevelt Oswell, who landed in New York in 1822 
- Alexander Oswell, who landed in Delaware in 1864 
Oswell migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Oswell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mr. John Oswell, English solider who was convicted in Chelsea, London, England for 7 years for desertion from the army, transported aboard the "Duke of Portland" in January 1807, arriving in New South Wales, Australia 
Contemporary Notables of the name Oswell (post 1700) +
- Oswell Borradaile (1859-1935), English cricketer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Convict Records Voyages to Australia (Retrieved 28th July 2021). Retrieved from https://convictrecords.com.au/ships/duke-of-portland