on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Osgood family come from? What is the English Osgood family crest and coat of arms? When did the Osgood family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Osgood family history?The ancient Anglo-Saxon surname Osgood came from the late Old English personal names Osgod and Osgot, which were derived from the Old Norse name Asgautr and the Old Danish and Old Swedish names Asgut and Asgut. The common forms of this name in Normandy were Ansgot and Angot.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Osgood has been recorded under many different variations, including Osgoode, Osgood, Hosgood, Hosgoode and others.
First found in Oxfordshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Osgood research. Another 175 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 127 and 1273 are included under the topic Early Osgood History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Osgood Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Osgood or a variant listed above:
Osgood Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Christopher Osgood who settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1630 along with Elizabeth
- John and Mary Osgood settled in New England in 1630
- Christopher Osgood, who arrived in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1634
- John Osgood, who arrived in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1638
- Sarah Osgood, who landed in New England in 1638
Osgood Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Salem Osgood, who arrived in West New Jersey in 1706
Osgood Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel, Emma, Edward, Rachael Osgood arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1820
- Alfred P Osgood, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- E W Osgood, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
Osgood Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Abraham Osgood, aged 43, arrived in Fort Cumberland, Nova Scotia in 1775
- Charles Benjamin "Charlie" Osgood (1926-2014), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played one game for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1944
- Edgar D. Osgood, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1960; Presidential Elector for California, 1960
- Charles Osgood, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for New York State Senate 7th District, 1920
- C. H. Osgood, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Maine, 1884
- Abraham L. Osgood, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for New Hampshire State Senate 14th District, 1938
- A. B. Osgood, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Florida, 1904
- Erastus Osgood, American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Lebanon, 1829; Member of Connecticut State Senate 9th District, 1848
- Frederic L. Osgood, American politician, Mayor of Norwich, Connecticut, 1897
- Gayton Pickman Osgood (1797-1861), American Democrat politician, Member of Massachusetts State Legislature; U.S. Representative from Massachusetts 3rd District, 1833-35
- Henry M. Osgood, American politician, Member of California State Assembly 2nd District, 1858-59
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Osgood Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Osgood Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2015 at 11:21.
on orders of $85 or more