The Orcutt surname is derived form the Old English word "ortgeard," or "orceard," a compound of "wort," or "plant," and "geard," meaning "yard." It is thought to have originally been a topographic name for someone who lived by an orchard, or perhaps an occupational
name for a fruit grower. There were also several places named Orchard, such as those in Devon
, and the surname may have been taken on from a place name.
Early Origins of the Orcutt family
The surname Orcutt was first found in Devon
, where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor of Hartland Abbey in that shire. Although the origin of this name may seem obvious to most, the real source lies far from fruit trees. Far to the north, the Urquharts were hereditary Sheriffs of Cromarty. This difficult Gaelic name posed problems for even the Scottish tongue. In Loch Ness, their seat, they were called Orchar or Orchard. Hence, the name Orchard earned the right to be a sept of the great Clan
Urquhart. In the 14th century it is believed that a branch of this clan moved south to Devon
and became seated at Hartland Abbey.
Early History of the Orcutt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Orcutt research.Another 147 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1410, 1750, 1468 and 1504 are included under the topic Early Orcutt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Orcutt Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Orchard, Orchar, Orcher, Orcutt, Orcherd, Augher and others.
Early Notables of the Orcutt family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Orcutt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Orcutt family to Ireland
Some of the Orcutt family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 71 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Orcutt family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Orcutt Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Orcutt, who landed in Massachusetts in 1664 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Orcutt Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- R. Orcutt settled in San Francisco, California in 1852
Orcutt Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Peter Orcutt, who arrived in Canada in 1834
Contemporary Notables of the name Orcutt (post 1700)
- William Dana Orcutt (1870-1953), American book designer, typeface designer, historian, and author, best known for his Humanistic typeface
- Maureen Orcutt (1907-2007), American amateur golfer and reporter for the New York Times
- William Warren Orcutt (1869-1942), American petroleum geologist, known for his contributions to paleontology, specifically the fossils of the La Brea Tar Pits, eponym of Orcutt, California
- Ed Orcutt (b. 1963), American politician, Washington State Representative from Washington's 18th district (2002-)