Omahony History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The many Irish surnames in use today have long rich histories behind them. The name Omahony originally appeared in Gaelic as O Mathghamhna, which is derived from the word mathghamhan, which means bear. The modern spelling is O Mahúna.
Early Origins of the Omahony family
The surname Omahony was first found in County Cork
(Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland
in the province of Munster
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Omahony family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Omahony research.Another 357 words (26 lines of text) covering the years 1014, 1639, 1679 and 1987 are included under the topic Early Omahony History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Omahony Spelling Variations
One must realize that attempting to record a Gaelic name in English was a daunting task. Even today the translation is a difficult one. Accordingly, spelling variations
were the norm. Variations found include Mahoney, O'Mahoney, O'Mahony, Mahony and others.
Early Notables of the Omahony family (pre 1700)
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Omahony Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Omahony family to the New World and Oceana
A great wave of Irish migration occurred during the 19th century as a direct result of English colonial rule and tight-fisted absentee landlords. Many of these Irish immigrants boarded passenger ships bound for North America. Those who migrated early enough were given land in either British North America or the United States; those who came in the late 19th century were typically employed in industrial centers as laborers. At whatever age they undertook the dangerous passage to North America, those Irish immigrants were essential to the speedy development of the two infant nations to which they arrived, whether they broke and settled land, helped build canals, bridges, and railroads, or produced products for consumer consumption. An examination of immigration and passenger lists has uncovered a large number of immigrants bearing the name Omahony or one of its variants:
Omahony Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Daniel O'Mahony, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Ballinishey, in 1906
- Annie O'Mahony, aged 27, who landed in America from Killarney, Ireland, in 1908
- Hannah O'Mahony, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Abbeyfeale, Ireland, in 1908
- Edward O'Mahony, aged 20, who landed in America from Castleisland, Ireland, in 1910
- Ellen O'Mahony, aged 25, who settled in America from Kilworth, Ireland, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Omahony (post 1700)
- Dermot Patrick O'Mahony (1935-2015), Irish Roman Catholic bishop
- John O'Mahony (1937-2012), Irish former sportsperson
- Barry O'Mahony (b. 1986), Irish rugby union player
- Eoin O'Mahony (b. 1962), Irish retired Gaelic footballer
- De Clan O'Mahony, Gaelic footballer
- Florence "Flor" O'Mahony (b. 1946), Irish former Labour Party politician
- Conor O'Mahony (b. 1984), Irish hurler
- Peter O'Mahony (b. 1989), Irish professional rugby union player
- Paudie O'Mahony (b. 1952), Irish retired footballer
- Sean O'Mahony (1864-1934), Irish Sinn Finn politician
- ... (Another 6 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Omahony Family Crest Products