on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Odonnell family come from? What is the Irish Odonnell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Odonnell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Odonnell family history?The original Gaelic form of Odonnell was O'Domhnaill, which means descendant of Domhnall or descendant of Donal(l.) The name is derived from the Irish words "domhan" (the world) and "all" (mighty): son of Colga, a quo O'Domhnaill.  The surname claims descendancy from the Heremon Kings of Ireland. 
Pronunciation, rather than spelling, guided scribes and church officials when recording names during the Middle Ages. This practice often resulted in one person's name being recorded under several different spellings. Numerous spelling variations of the surname Odonnell are preserved in these old documents. The various spellings of the name that were found include O Donnell, O'Donald, O'Donle, O'Donall, O'Donnell and others.
First found in County Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island, where records show this distinguished Irish Clann were directly descended from Connell, son of King Niall of the Nine Hostages who died in 371. Today the most numerous listing of the name can be found in Tirconaill (Donegal), but there are two other branches that are significant, those in Corcabaskin in West Clare, and those of the Ui Maine (Hy Many) in County Galway.  All descend from the same ancestor name Domhnall (English: Donal) and are O Domhnaill (Irish Gaelic.) The Donegal "promedominance only dates from the thirteenth century; prior to that they were located in the comparatively restricted area around Kilmacrenan, County Donegal." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Odonnell research. Another 135 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1571, 1602, 1601, 1602, 1575 and 1608 are included under the topic Early Odonnell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 149 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Odonnell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Odonnell Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Richard O'Donnell settled in Bay de Verde, Newfoundland in 1802
- Edward O'Donnell settled in Isle Valen, Newfoundland and died there in 1828
- Biddy O'Donnell, aged 17, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "Britannia" from Sligo
- Neil O'Donnell, aged 20, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Trial" in 1833
- Nancy O'Donnell, aged 18, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Edward Reid" in 1833
Odonnell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Maria O'Donnell, aged 19, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Medina"
- Maurice O'Donnell, aged 24, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Marshall Bennett"
- Catherine O'Donnell, aged 23, a dairy maid, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "David Malcolm"
- Bridget O'Donnell, aged 22, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Emerald Isle"
- Ellen O'Donnell, aged 20, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Emerald Isle"
Odonnell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Catherine O'Donnell arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1863
- Philip O'Donnell, aged 27, a labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alfred" in 1864
- Mary O'Donnell, aged 30, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alfred" in 1864
- Margaret O'Donnell, aged 3, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alfred" in 1864
- James O'Donnell arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Empress" in 1865
- Mr. Patrick O'Donnell, American 2nd Class passenger from Hoboken, New Jersey, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and survived the sinking
- Neil Kennedy O'Donnell (b. 1966), former American NFL football quarterback
- Martin "Marty" O'Donnell (b. 1955), American composer known for his work the video games Myth, Oni, and Halo
- Phillip O'Donnell, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1972
- Priscilla O'Donnell, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1996, 2004
- Ray J. O'Donnell, American politician, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio, 1946-53
- Robert J. O'Donnell, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Ohio 2nd District, 1924, 1926
- Robert W. O'Donnell, American Democrat politician, Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1992
- T. G. O'Donnell, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kansas, 1908
- Theodore J. O'Donnell, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 1892
- ^ O'Hart, John, Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4)
- ^ MacLysaght, Edward, Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7)
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
The Odonnell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Odonnell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 November 2015 at 23:40.
on orders of $85 or more