O'Malley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname O'Malley originally appeared in Gaelic as "O Maille."
Early Origins of the O'Malley family
The surname O'Malley was first found in County Mayo
(Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland
in the province of Connacht
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the O'Malley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our O'Malley research.Another 361 words (26 lines of text) covering the years 1503, 1603, 1760, 1843, and 1854 are included under the topic Early O'Malley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
O'Malley Spelling Variations
Names from the Middle Ages demonstrate many spelling variations
. This is because the recording scribe or church official often decided as to how a person's name was spelt and in what language. Research into the name O'Malley revealed many variations, including Malley, Mallay, Mally, O'Mally, Mailley, O'Malley, O'Mailey, Mailey, Maley, Mealey, Mealley, Meally and many more.
Early Notables of the O'Malley family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early O'Malley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the O'Malley family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of Irish families
left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name O'Malley:
O'Malley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles, Edward, Hugh, John, Luke, Michael, Miles, Peter, and Thomas O'Malley, who all, who arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
- Ann O'Malley, aged 17, who landed in America, in 1897
O'Malley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Annie O'Malley, aged 20, who settled in America from Carrane, Galway, in 1906
- Austin O'Malley, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Yoxford, Ireland, in 1909
- Anne O'Malley, aged 20, who emigrated to America from Castlebar, Ireland, in 1910
- Alice O'Malley, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Achill Island, Ireland, in 1911
- Austin O'Malley, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Castelbar, Ireland, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name O'Malley (post 1700)
- Edward Richard O'Malley (1863-1935), American lawyer and politician, New York Attorney General
- Walter O'Malley (1903-1979), American sports executive, owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers
- Robert E O'Malley (b. 1943), American soldier, Medal of Honor recipient
- Peter O'Malley (b. 1937), American sports administrator, former president and past owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers
- Edwin O'Malley (1881-1955), American Commissioner of Public Markets for New York City
- Seán Patrick O'Malley OFM Cap (b. 1944), American Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church
- Martin J O'Malley (b. 1963), American politician, Governor of Maryland
- Austin O'Malley (1858-1932), American physician and humorist
- Donogh Brendan O'Malley (1921-1968), Irish Fianna Fáil politician, Minister for Education (1966-1968), Minister for Health (1965-1966)
- Daragh O'Malley (b. 1954), Irish born film, theatre and television actor
- ... (Another 7 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
O'Malley Family Crest Products