Home

Digital Products

Prints

Apparel

Home & Barware

Gifts


Customer Service



O'Leerys History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms



While many Irish names are familiar, their past incarnations are often shrouded in mystery, reflecting the ancient Gaelic heritage of their bearers. The original Gaelic form of the name O'Leerys is O Laoghaire, which was originally derived from Laoghaire, one of the most well-known personal names in ancient Ireland.


Early Origins of the O'Leerys family


The surname O'Leerys was first found in County Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where they held a family seat from ancient times.

Early History of the O'Leerys family


This web page shows only a small excerpt of our O'Leerys research.
Another 86 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 117 and 1172 are included under the topic Early O'Leerys History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

O'Leerys Spelling Variations


During the Middle Ages, exact spellings for people's name did not exist. It was up to the literate scribe that was recording a person's name to decide how to spell his name. Names, therefore, often had many spelling variations. The variations of the name O'Leerys include: Leary, O'Leary, O'Leery and others.

Early Notables of the O'Leerys family (pre 1700)


More information is included under the topic Early O'Leerys Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Migration of the O'Leerys family to the New World and Oceana


A great wave of Irish migration occurred during the 19th century as a direct result of English colonial rule and tight-fisted absentee landlords. Many of these Irish immigrants boarded passenger ships bound for North America. Those who migrated early enough were given land in either British North America or the United States; those who came in the late 19th century were typically employed in industrial centers as laborers. At whatever age they undertook the dangerous passage to North America, those Irish immigrants were essential to the speedy development of the two infant nations to which they arrived, whether they broke and settled land, helped build canals, bridges, and railroads, or produced products for consumer consumption. An examination of immigration and passenger lists has uncovered a large number of immigrants bearing the name O'Leerys or one of its variants: Daniel, Denis, George, Jeremiah, John, Michael, Patrick, Thomas and William Leary, who all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860; other Learys arrived in the ports of Boston, New York, San Francisco, Quebec..

The O'Leerys Motto


The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.

Motto: Laidir isé lear Righ
Motto Translation: Strong is the King of the sea.


O'Leerys Family Crest Products



See Also



Sign Up