The Gaelic name used by the O'Harvey family in ancient Ireland
was O hAthairne, which is possibly derived from the word athardha, which means paternal.
Early Origins of the O'Harvey family
The surname O'Harvey was first found in Connacht
(Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they held a family seat
from very ancient times.
Early History of the O'Harvey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our O'Harvey research.Another 147 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early O'Harvey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
O'Harvey Spelling Variations
Names during the Middle Ages were often recorded under several different spelling variations
during the life of their bearers. Literacy was rare at that time and so how a person's name was recorded was decided by the individual scribe. Variations of the name O'Harvey include Harney, Hartney, O'Harney, Hartney, Harnedy, Harnet, Harnett, Hartnet, Hartnett, Haherny and many more.
Early Notables of the O'Harvey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early O'Harvey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the O'Harvey family to the New World and Oceana
In the late 18th century, Irish families
began emigrating to North America in the search of a plot of land to call their own. This pattern of emigration grew steadily until the 1840s when the Great Potato Famine
of the 1840s cause thousands of Irish to flee the death and disease that accompanied the disaster. Those that made it alive to the shores of the United States and British North America (later to become Canada) were, however, instrumental in the development of those two powerful nations. Many of these Irish immigrants proudly bore the name of O'Harvey: Edward Harnet settled in Salem Massachusetts in 1640; and he was reported from "suffering from favouring the Quakers"; James, Ann, John, Patrick and William Harnet all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860.