The name O'Halleran originally appeared in Gaelic as O hAllmhurain, which is derived from the word allmhurach, which means pirate.
Early Origins of the O'Halleran family
The surname O'Halleran was first found in counties of Clare and Galway
(Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht
, located on the west coast of the Island, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times.
Early History of the O'Halleran family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our O'Halleran research.Another 137 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early O'Halleran History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
O'Halleran Spelling Variations
During the Middle Ages, a person's name was often recorded under several spelling variations
during a single lifetime because it was essentially up to the individual scribe's discretion as to how to record an individual's name. Research into the name O'Halleran revealed many variations, including Halloran, O'Halloran, Haloran and others.
Early Notables of the O'Halleran family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early O'Halleran Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the O'Halleran family to the New World and Oceana
North America received thousands of Irish immigrants from the English-ruled Ireland
during the 19th century. Once in the United States or what would become Canada, these immigrants quickly contributed to the ongoing settling and industrialization processes. The largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s. An exhaustive examination of immigrant and passenger lists has shown many early immigrants bearing the surname of O'Halleran:
O'Halleran Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bridget O'Halleran, aged 20, who arrived in America, in 1895
- Patrick O'Halleran, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1895
O'Halleran Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Bridget O'Halleran, aged 21, who arrived in America from Cahir, in 1901
- Ignatius O'Halleran, aged 22, who arrived in America from Dublin, in 1905
- Joseph O'Halleran, aged 30, who arrived in America from Dublin, in 1905
- Patrick O'Halleran, aged 17, who arrived in America from Wigan, England, in 1907
- Ellen O'Halleran, aged 19, who arrived in America from Wigan, England, in 1907
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
O'Halleran Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Austin O'Halleran, aged 28, who arrived in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, in 1912
Contemporary Notables of the name O'Halleran (post 1700)
- Michael O'Halleran (b. 1951), American Executive Chairman of Aon Benfield (2013-)
- Tom O'Halleran (b. 1946), American politician, Member of the Arizona Senate (2007-2009)