on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Northcott family come from? What is the English Northcott family crest and coat of arms? When did the Northcott family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Northcott family history?The Northcott surname is a habitational name, taken on from any of several places, such as Northcott in Devon. These place names are derived from the Old English words "norđ," meaning "north," and "cot," meaning a "cottage," or "shelter."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Northcott, Norcott, Norcutt, Northcutt, Northcote and others.
First found in Devon at Northcote (Northcott), a hamlet, in the parish of Boyton, union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington. The surname claims descendancy "from Galfridus, who was of Northcote, in the parish of East-Downe, in the twelfth century." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Northcott research. Another 171 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1100, 1587, 1570, 1632, 1599, 1676, 1640, 1676, 1628, 1688, 1710, 1743, 1730, 1743 and 1103 are included under the topic Early Northcott History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 195 words(14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Northcott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Northcott Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Northcott, who arrived settled in New England in 1669
Northcott Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Richard Northcott and Robert Northcott, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1854
Northcott Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Daniel Northcott, aged 22, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Sibella"
- John Northcott, aged 26, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Standard"
- John Northcott (aged 20), a miner, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Aliquis"
Northcott Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Northcott, aged 22, a miner, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Forfarshire" in 1873
- Lawrence "Baldy" Northcott (1908-1986), Canadian NHL ice hockey player
- Ronald Charles Northcott (b. 1935), three-time Canadian and World curling champion
- Ryan Northcott (b. 1980), Canadian actor
- General Sir John Northcott (1890-1966), Australian Chief of the General Staff (1942–1945), Commander in chief, British Commonwealth Occupation Force, Japan (1946), Governor of New South Wales (1946–1957)
- William Northcott, British Editor
- Kenneth Northcott, Professor of German
- Tom Northcott (b. 1943), Canadian folk-rock singer
- Douglas Geoffrey Northcott FRS (1916-2005), British mathematician
- Mr. Northcott, British Petty Officer, who sailed in to battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and survived the sinking
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
The Northcott Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Northcott Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 January 2015 at 08:02.
on orders of $85 or more