100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Northcott family come from? What is the English Northcott family crest and coat of arms? When did the Northcott family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Northcott family history?The Northcott surname is a habitational name, taken on from any of several places, such as Northcott in Devon. These place names are derived from the Old English words "norđ," meaning "north," and "cot," meaning a "cottage," or "shelter."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Northcott, Norcott, Norcutt, Northcutt, Northcote and others.
First found in Devon at Northcote (Northcott), a hamlet, in the parish of Boyton, union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington. The surname claims descendancy "from Galfridus, who was of Northcote, in the parish of East-Downe, in the twelfth century." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Northcott research. Another 171 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1100, 1587, 1570, 1632, 1599, 1676, 1640, 1676, 1628, 1688, 1710, 1743, 1730, 1743 and 1103 are included under the topic Early Northcott History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 195 words(14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Northcott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Northcott Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Northcott, who arrived settled in New England in 1669
Northcott Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Richard Northcott and Robert Northcott, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1854
Northcott Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Daniel Northcott, aged 22, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Sibella"
- John Northcott, aged 26, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Standard"
- John Northcott (aged 20), a miner, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Aliquis"
Northcott Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Northcott, aged 22, a miner, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Forfarshire" in 1873
- Gustavus Augustus Northcott (1861-1938), American politician, President of the Senate of West Virginia (1905-1907)
- Thomas Theodore "Tommy" Northcott (1931-2008), English professional footballer who played from 1949 to 1966
- Bayan Northcott (b. 1940), English composer and music critic
- Tom Northcott (b. 1943), Canadian Juno Award nominated folk-rock singer, active in the late 1960s and early 1970s
- Ryan Northcott (b. 1980), Canadian actor, known for his roles in Mystery, Alaska (1999), Ripper (2001) and The Beach Boys: An American Family (2000)
- Lawrence "Baldy" Northcott (1908-1986), Canadian NHL ice hockey player who played from 1928 to 1939
- Douglas Geoffrey Northcott FRS (1916-2005), British mathematician, Research Fellow of St John's College in 1948, awarded the London Mathematical Society Junior Berwick Prize in 1953, elected Fellow of the Royal Society in 1961
- Mr. Northcott, British Petty Officer, who sailed in to battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and survived the sinking
- General Sir John Northcott (1890-1966), Australian Chief of the General Staff (1942–1945), Commander in chief, British Commonwealth Occupation Force, Japan (1946), Governor of New South Wales (1946–1957)
- William Northcott, British Editor
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The Northcott Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Northcott Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 May 2015 at 09:47.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!