on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Northcott family come from? What is the English Northcott family crest and coat of arms? When did the Northcott family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Northcott family history?The Northcott surname is a habitational name, taken on from any of several places, such as Northcott in Devon. These place names are derived from the Old English words "norš," meaning "north," and "cot," meaning a "cottage," or "shelter."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Northcott, Norcott, Norcutt, Northcutt, Northcote and others.
First found in Devon at Northcote (Northcott), a hamlet, in the parish of Boyton, union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington. The surname claims descendancy "from Galfridus, who was of Northcote, in the parish of East-Downe, in the twelfth century." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Northcott research. Another 171 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1100, 1587, 1570, 1632, 1599, 1676, 1640, 1676, 1628, 1688, 1710, 1743, 1730, 1743 and 1103 are included under the topic Early Northcott History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 195 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Northcott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Northcott Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Northcott, who arrived settled in New England in 1669
Northcott Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Richard Northcott and Robert Northcott, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1854
Northcott Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Daniel Northcott, aged 22, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Sibella"
- John Northcott, aged 26, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Standard"
- John Northcott (aged 20), a miner, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Aliquis"
Northcott Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Northcott, aged 22, a miner, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Forfarshire" in 1873
- Gustavus Augustus Northcott (1861-1938), American politician, President of the Senate of West Virginia (1905-1907)
- William Allen Northcott (1854-1917), American Republican politician, Lieutenant Governor of Illinois, 1897-1905; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1904
- R. S. Northcott, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from West Virginia, 1868
- G. A. Northcott, American politician, Member of West Virginia State Senate 5th District, 1903-06; President of the West Virginia State Senate, 1905
- Elliott Northcott (1869-1946), American Republican politician, West Virginia Republican State Chair, 1904-08; U.S. Minister to Colombia, 1909-10; Nicaragua, 1911; Venezuela, 1911-13
- Benjamin F. Northcott, American politician, Delegate to Illinois State Constitutional Convention from Menard County, 1847
- B. F. Northcott, American Republican politician, Candidate for Missouri State House of Representatives from Chariton County, 1940
- Mrs. Andrew Northcott, American Republican politician, Member of West Virginia Republican State Executive Committee, 1937
- Thomas Theodore "Tommy" Northcott (1931-2008), English professional footballer who played from 1949 to 1966
- Bayan Northcott (b. 1940), English composer and music critic
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Northcott Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Northcott Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 January 2016 at 11:41.
on orders of $85 or more