100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Northcott surname is a habitational name, taken on from any of several places, such as Northcott in Devon
. These place names are derived from the Old English words "norš," meaning "north," and "cot," meaning a "cottage," or "shelter."
The surname Northcott was first found in Devon
at Northcote (Northcott), a hamlet, in the parish of Boyton, union of Holsworthy, hundred
of Black Torrington. The surname claims descendancy "from Galfridus, who was of Northcote, in the parish of East-Downe, in the twelfth century." 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Northcott, Norcott, Norcutt, Northcutt, Northcote and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Northcott research. Another 171 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1100, 1587, 1570, 1632, 1599, 1676, 1640, 1676, 1628, 1688, 1710, 1743, 1730, 1743 and 1103 are included under the topic Early Northcott History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 195 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Northcott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Northcott Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Northcott, who arrived settled in New England in 1669
Northcott Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Richard Northcott and Robert Northcott, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1854
Northcott Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Daniel Northcott, aged 22, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Sibella"
- John Northcott, aged 26, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Standard"
- John Northcott (aged 20), a miner, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Aliquis"
Northcott Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Northcott, aged 22, a miner, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Forfarshire" in 1873
- Gustavus Augustus Northcott (1861-1938), American politician, President of the Senate of West Virginia (1905-1907)
- William Allen Northcott (1854-1917), American Republican politician, Lieutenant Governor of Illinois, 1897-1905; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1904
- R. S. Northcott, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from West Virginia, 1868
- G. A. Northcott, American politician, Member of West Virginia State Senate 5th District, 1903-06; President of the West Virginia State Senate, 1905
- Elliott Northcott (1869-1946), American Republican politician, West Virginia Republican State Chair, 1904-08; U.S. Minister to Colombia, 1909-10; Nicaragua, 1911; Venezuela, 1911-13
- Benjamin F. Northcott, American politician, Delegate to Illinois State Constitutional Convention from Menard County, 1847
- B. F. Northcott, American Republican politician, Candidate for Missouri State House of Representatives from Chariton County, 1940
- Mrs. Andrew Northcott, American Republican politician, Member of West Virginia Republican State Executive Committee, 1937
- Thomas Theodore "Tommy" Northcott (1931-2008), English professional footballer who played from 1949 to 1966
- Bayan Northcott (b. 1940), English composer and music critic
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Northcott Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Northcott Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 January 2016 at 11:41.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!