The Nelay surname is derived from the Old English word "mylen," and the Middle English "mille, or milne," all of which meant "mill." Thus the name was probably originally taken on by someone who owned or lived near a mill.
, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nelay research.Another 114 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1483, 1510, 1567, 1600, 1445, 1499, 1645, 1707 and are included under the topic Early Nelay History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Cornelius Mill, who settled in Virginia in 1652; along with Edward in 1654; James in 1741; John in 1637; Lewis
in 1642; Mary in 1704; Thomas in 1635; William in 1663. They also settled in Barbados, Philadelphia, Charletown.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Ex industria
Motto Translation: Through industry.