Mullis History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Mullis is most likely occupational in origin; in other words, that is, a name derived from the name of a profession. Many occupational names refer directly to the occupation, but some, like Mullis, are metonymic, meaning that they refer to some object associated with the profession. Mullis comes from the French word "moulin," meaning "a mill:" the first bearer of the name probably worked in a mill, but it is also possible that the name was taken on by some who lived near a mill.
Early Origins of the Mullis family
The surname Mullis was first found in Suffolk where records show Ralph Milun in the Feet of Fines of 1198, and Adam Milun in a record from 1200. Other records show Ralph de Molins in the Pipe Rolls of 1159. A few years later, Laurence atte Mulene was listed in the Writs of Parliament of 1278 and Gilbert atte Mullane was listed in Somerset at the time of Edward III.
Important Dates for the Mullis family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mullis research. Another 33 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1289 and 1341 are included under the topic Early Mullis History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mullis Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mullin, Mullis, Mullen, Mullins, Mullens, Mullings, Molins, Millen, Millin and many more.
Early Notables of the Mullis family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Mullis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mullis family to Ireland
Some of the Mullis family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mullis migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Mullis Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Mullis Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Claes Mullis, who landed in New York, NY in 1664 
Contemporary Notables of the name Mullis (post 1700)
- Robert Mullis (b. 1952), American professional football player
- Jeff Mullis, American state senator of the Republican Party in Georgia
- Kary Banks Mullis (b. 1944), Nobel Prize winning American biochemist, author, and lecturer
- Alastair Mullis, English Professor of Law at the University of East Anglia
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)