The original Gaelic form of Mullally was "O Maolalaidh," which may be derived from "aladh," which means "speckled."
from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mullally research.Another 120 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1558, 1572, 1595, 1691, 1702, and 1766 are included under the topic Early Mullally History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Irish names were rarely spelled consistently in the Middle Ages. Spelling variations
of the name Mullally dating from that time include Lally, Lalley, Mulally, O'Mulally, O'Lally and others.
Notable amongst the family name at this time was William O'Mullaly, Dean of Tuam (1558-1572) and Archbishop of Tuam (1572-1595); Thomas Arthur Lally, Count Lally, Commander in Chief... Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mullally Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
A massive amount of Ireland's native population left the island in the 19th century for North America and Australia
in hopes of finding more opportunities and an escape from discrimination and oppression. A great portion of these migrants arrived on the eastern shores of the North American continent. Although they were generally poor and destitute, and, therefore, again discriminated against, these Irish people were heartily welcomed for the hard labor involved in the construction of railroads, canals, roadways, and buildings. Many others were put to work in the newly established factories or agricultural projects that were so essential to the development of what would become two of the wealthiest nations in the world. The Great Potato Famine
during the late 1840s initiated the largest wave of Iris immigration. Early North American immigration and passenger lists have revealed a number of people bearing the name Mullally or a variant listed above:
Mullally Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ann Mullally, aged 28, who landed in America from Mullingar, in 1898
- Margaret Mullally, aged 30, who immigrated to the United States from Mullingar, in 1898
Mullally Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Richard Mullally, aged 26, who landed in America from Ballingarry, in 1901
- John Mullally, aged 8, who landed in America from Dublin, in 1903
- James Mullally, aged 5, who landed in America from Dublin, in 1903
- Edmund Mullally, aged 20, who landed in America from Belfast, in 1906
- Thomas Mullally, aged 20, who landed in America from Mullinahone, Ireland, in 1906
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)