100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Moyle name is derived from the Cornish word "moyl," meaning "bald," as such, it may have evolved from a nickname.
The surname Moyle was first found in Cornwall
where the surname is "not from mule, as the family appear to have imagined when they assumed the arms, 'Gules, a moyle or mule passant argent;' but from a place in or contiguous to the parish of St. Minovor. " 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moyle, Moil, Moile, Moyles, Muyle and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Moyle research. Another 419 words (30 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1079, 1142, 1149, 1162, 1535, 1200, 1290, 1465, 1542, 1660, 1664, 1480, 1592, 1661, 1500, 1560, 1541, 1544, 1604, 1592, 1661, 1627, 1701, 1654, 1656, 1671, 1672 and 1721 are included under the topic Early Moyle History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 249 words (18 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Moyle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Moyle Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Dorothy Moyle, who settled in Virginia in 1635
- Dorothy Moyle, aged 24, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Wm Moyle, who arrived in Virginia in 1650
- Roger Moyle, who settled in Virginia in 1652
- Roger Moyle, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
Moyle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Moyle, who came to Virginia in 1715
- Henry Moyle, who arrived in Virginia in 1715
Moyle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Moyle, aged 1, landed in New York, NY in 1842
- Susan Moyle, aged 34, arrived in New York, NY in 1842
- Thomas Moyle, aged 29, landed in New York, NY in 1842
- W Moyle, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- William Moyle, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1853
Moyle Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henrietta Moyle arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Abberton" in 1846
- Walter Moyle arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Abberton" in 1846
- Ann Moyle arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Aboukir" in 1847
- Elizabeth Moyle arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Aboukir" in 1847
- John Moyle arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Aboukir" in 1847
Moyle Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Loftus Moyle arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cashmere" in 1851
- Joseph Moyle, aged 24, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Schiehallion" in 1872
- Elizabeth Moyle, aged 27, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Queen of The Age" in 1874
- S. Moyle, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Wyoming at-large, 1964
- Michael J. Moyle, American Republican politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates 3rd District; Elected 1974
- Jon C. Moyle, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Florida, 1972
- James Henry Moyle (1858-1946), American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Senator from Utah, 1914; Member of Democratic National Committee from Utah, 1916-20
- Henry D. Moyle, American politician, U.S. Attorney for Utah, 1921
- Cindy Moyle (b. 1953), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Idaho, 1988, 2004, 2008; Member of Republican National Committee from Idaho, 2008
- Henry D Moyle (1889-1963), American counselor in the LDS church
- Dr. Peter B Moyle, professor of Biology at the University of California, Davis
- Allan Moyle (b. 1947), Canadian film-maker, actor and screenwriter
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
The Moyle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Moyle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 January 2016 at 07:17.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!