on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Mount family come from? What is the Scottish Mount family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mount family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mount family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mount, Mont and others.
First found in Peeblesshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd nam Płballan), former county in South-central Scotland, in the present day Scottish Borders Council Area, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mount research. Another 165 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1291 and 1661 are included under the topic Early Mount History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Mount Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mount Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Tho Mount, who landed in Virginia in 1652
- Jno Mount, who arrived in Virginia in 1663
- Richard Mount, who arrived in Maryland in 1664
Mount Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Mount, who settled in New England in 1736
Mount Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Lawrence Mount, who landed in New York, NY in 1832
- C E Mount, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- A Mount, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Peter Mount, who landed in Indiana in 1852
- Barney, Bernard, James, John, Michael, and Peter Mount all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
Mount Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Mount, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Mary Mount, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
Mount Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Mount, English convict from Kent, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on July 3, 1822, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- Thomas Mount arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Rajasthan" in 1838
Mount Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Charles Mount, aged 35, a carpenter, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Martha Ridgeway" in 1840
- Mary Mount, aged 32, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Martha Ridgeway" in 1840
- Anson Mount (b. 1973), American actor
- William Sidney Mount (1807-1868), American genre and portrait painter
- Sir William Robert Ferdinand Mount (b. 1939), 3rd Baronet Mount, British writer and novelist, columnist for The Sunday Times
- Peggy Mount (1916-2001), English actress of stage and screen
- Sir William Arthur Mount (1866-1930), made 1st Baronet Mount of Wasing in 1921
- Christopher Mount (1913-2002), English pilot, RAF Air Commodore
- Mount by Brent Mount.
- Chronicles of the Mountz-Teeters and Allied Families by Margaret Mountz Carroll.
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
The Mount Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mount Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 January 2015 at 12:49.
on orders of $85 or more