100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The surname Mount was first found in Peeblesshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd nam Pùballan), former county in South-central Scotland
, in the present day Scottish Borders Council Area, where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland
to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mount, Mont and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mount research. Another 165 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1291 and 1661 are included under the topic Early Mount History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Mount Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mount Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Tho Mount, who landed in Virginia in 1652
- Jno Mount, who arrived in Virginia in 1663
- Richard Mount, who arrived in Maryland in 1664
Mount Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Mount, who settled in New England in 1736
Mount Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Lawrence Mount, who landed in New York, NY in 1832
- C E Mount, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- A Mount, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Peter Mount, who landed in Indiana in 1852
- Barney, Bernard, James, John, Michael, and Peter Mount all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
Mount Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Mount, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Mary Mount, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Sgt-Major. Moses Mount U.E. who settled in Home District, [Niagara], Ontario c. 1783, then in 1786 relocated to Norfolk County, [Townsend], Ontario he served in Peter Ten Broecks Company and Butlers Rangers, he died before 1801
- Mrs. Ann Mount U.E., (nêe Pintard) (b. 1768) who settled in Musquash, Saint John County, New Brunswick c. 1784 wife of John Mount, she died in 1818
- Mr. John Mount U.E. (b. 1762) who settled in Musquash, Saint John County, New Brunswick c. 1784 husband of Ann Mount, he died in 1819
Mount Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Mount, English convict from Kent, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on July 3, 1822, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- Thomas Mount arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Rajasthan" in 1838
Mount Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Charles Mount, aged 35, a carpenter, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Martha Ridgeway" in 1840
- Mary Mount, aged 32, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Martha Ridgeway" in 1840
- Willie Landry Mount, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Louisiana 7th District, 2004
- W. J. Mount, American politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Virginia, 1924
- William V. Mount, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Mayor of Reading, Ohio, 1967
- Victor C. Mount, American Democrat politician, Mayor of Seneca Falls, New York, 1941-42; Candidate for New York State Assembly from Seneca County, 1954
- Robert Mount, American politician, Anderson Coalition Candidate for Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1980
- S. W. Mount, American Republican politician, Candidate for Wisconsin State Assembly from Milwaukee County 5th District, 1902
- Lloyd Mount, American Democrat politician, Member of Nevada State House of Representatives, 1950
- Morgan F. Mount, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Mercer County, 1861-62
- Judy C. Mount, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Florida, 2008
- Judith Mount, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Wisconsin, 1996
- Mount by Brent Mount.
- Chronicles of the Mountz-Teeters and Allied Families by Margaret Mountz Carroll.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Mount Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mount Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 March 2016 at 13:23.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!