A family in the Pictish tribe of ancient Scotland
was the first to use the name Montieth. They lived in Monteith in the southwest of the county of Perth.
Early Origins of the Montieth family
The surname Montieth was first found in Perthshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland
, where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland
to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Montieth family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Montieth research.Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1322, and 1396 are included under the topic Early Montieth History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Montieth Spelling Variations
In medieval Scotland, names were more often spelled according to sound than any regular set of rules. An enormous number of spelling variations
were the result. Over the years, the name Montieth has been spelled Monteath, Monteith, Menteath, Menteth, Menteith and others.
Early Notables of the Montieth family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Montieth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Montieth family to the New World and Oceana
In such difficult times, Ireland
, and North America looked like better homes for many Scots. The trips were expensive and grueling, but also rewarding, as the colonies were havens for those unwelcome in the old country. That legacy did not die easily, though, and many were forced to fight for their freedom in the American War of Independence
. The Scottish legacy has resurface in more recent times, though, through Clan
societies, highland games, and other organizations. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the old Scottish name of Montieth:
Montieth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Montieth, aged 50, who landed in America, in 1896
- Jeanie Montieth, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1896
- Stanley Montieth, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States, in 1897
Montieth Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alexander Montieth, aged 55, who emigrated to the United States, in 1913
- Henry Montieth, who settled in America, in 1919
- James P. Montieth, who emigrated to the United States, in 1919
- Robert Montieth, aged 17, who emigrated to America, in 1919
- Walter Montieth, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1922
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Montieth (post 1700)
- Frank Andy Montieth Herrera (b. 1985), Cuban four-time gold medalist right-handed baseball pitcher
- Scott "Deadbeat" Montieth, Canadian electronica musician