Monette History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The prominent surname Monette originated in France, a country which has been a dominant presence in world affairs for centuries.The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in France were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name.The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. As well as the names of the saints of the Christian Church, many of the most common French surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin. They derive from the language of the Visigoths, who controlled France between the mid-5th and early 8th centuries. The family name Monet is a shortened form of either of two Old French given names, Hamon and Emon.
Early Origins of the Monette family
The surname Monette was first found in Savoy (French: Savoie) in the Rhône-Alpes region of the French Alps, where the family held a family seat from ancient times.
Over the course of many centuries, this family branched, prospered and expanded to many regions where members of the family adapted to the cultural and linguistic changes in these regions and also became active citizens defending their beliefs, their King, and their country. This ancient family name is registered at Abondance in 1649.
A famous member of the family, Claude Monet, was a French painter during the 18- and 1900's. Claude was fascinated by the reflection of light off the water and his painting "Impression, soleil levant " (1872), inspired a critic to describe him as an "Impressionniste". His home at Giverny remains open to the public as well as the famous garden with the water lilies which he painted so frequently.
Important Dates for the Monette family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Monette research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1540, 1549, 1556, 1649, and 1872 are included under the topic Early Monette History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Monette Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Monet, Monai, Monez, Moner, Money, Monnet, Monnai, Monnaie, Monnaies, Monnait, Monnez, Monner, Monaie, Monaies, Monait, Monette, Monnette and many more.
Early Notables of the Monette family (pre 1700)
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Monette Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Monette family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Mrs. Monet, aged 16; settled in South Carolina in 1823; Anthony Monet settled in Philadelphia in 1878; D. Monet, aged 44; settled in South Carolina in 1823.
Contemporary Notables of the name Monette (post 1700)
- Joseph Monette, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Massachusetts, 1912 
- J. E. Monette, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 7th District, 1952 
- Sarah Monette, American novelist and short story author, best known for her Doctrine of Labyrinths series of novels
- Paul Landry Monette (1945-1995), American author, poet, and activist
- Gustave Monette (1887-1969), Canadian lawyer and politician, Senator for Mille Isles, Quebec (1957-1969)
- Richard Jean Monette OC, DHum, LLD (1944-2008), Canadian actor and director, the longest-serving artistic director of the Stratford Festival of Canada (1994 to 2007)
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html