Monat History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The prominent surname Monat originated in France, a country which has been a dominant presence in world affairs for centuries.The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in France were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name.The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. As well as the names of the saints of the Christian Church, many of the most common French surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin. They derive from the language of the Visigoths, who controlled France between the mid-5th and early 8th centuries. The family name Monet is a shortened form of either of two Old French given names, Hamon and Emon.
Early Origins of the Monat family
The surname Monat was first found in Savoy (French: Savoie) in the Rhône-Alpes region of the French Alps, where the family held a family seat from ancient times.
Over the course of many centuries, this family branched, prospered and expanded to many regions where members of the family adapted to the cultural and linguistic changes in these regions and also became active citizens defending their beliefs, their King, and their country. This ancient family name is registered at Abondance in 1649.
A famous member of the family, Claude Monet, was a French painter during the 18- and 1900's. Claude was fascinated by the reflection of light off the water and his painting "Impression, soleil levant " (1872), inspired a critic to describe him as an "Impressionniste". His home at Giverny remains open to the public as well as the famous garden with the water lilies which he painted so frequently.
Important Dates for the Monat family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Monat research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1540, 1549, 1556, 1649, and 1872 are included under the topic Early Monat History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Monat Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Monet, Monai, Monez, Moner, Money, Monnet, Monnai, Monnaie, Monnaies, Monnait, Monnez, Monner, Monaie, Monaies, Monait, Monette, Monnette and many more.
Early Notables of the Monat family (pre 1700)
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Monat Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Monat migration to New Zealand
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Monat Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Isabella Monat, aged 42, a laundrymaid, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Duke of Edinburgh" in 1873
- Barclay Monat, aged 36, a fisherman, who arrived in Nelson, New Zealand aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Marion Monat, aged 34, who arrived in Nelson, New Zealand aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Betty Monat, aged 11, who arrived in Nelson, New Zealand aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- William Monat, aged 9, who arrived in Nelson, New Zealand aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Monat (post 1700)
- Paul E. Monat Sr., American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Delegate to Michigan State Constitutional Convention from Wayne County 19th District, 1961 
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html