Monagan History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Many variations of the name Monagan have evolved since the time of its initial creation. In Gaelic it appeared as O Manachain, which is derived from the word "manach," which means "monk."
Early Origins of the Monagan family
The surname Monagan was first found in County Roscommon (Irish: Ros Comáin) located in central Ireland in the province of Connacht, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Monagan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Monagan research. Another 109 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 179 and 1798 are included under the topic Early Monagan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Monagan Spelling Variations
Within the archives researched, many different spelling variations of the surname Monagan were found. These included One reason for the many variations is that scribes and church officials often spelled an individual's name as it sounded. This imprecise method often led to many versions. Monaghan, Monahan, Monagham, Monahon, Monagan, Mongan, Monaugher, Monck and many more.
Early Notables of the Monagan family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Monagan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Monagan migration to the United States +
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Monagan:
Monagan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Monagan, aged 42, who arrived in New York in 1812 
Monagan migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Monagan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Patrick Monagan, who arrived in Ontario in 1809
Contemporary Notables of the name Monagan (post 1700) +
- Walter E. Monagan, American Democrat politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Waterbury; Elected 1910 
- Robert Timothy Monagan Jr. (b. 1920), American Republican politician, Member of California State Assembly, 1961-72; Speaker of the California State Assembly, 1969-70; Presidential Elector for California, 1968, 1972 
- John Stephen Monagan (1911-2005), American Democrat politician, Mayor of Waterbury, Connecticut, 1943-47; Defeated, 1947; U.S. Representative from Connecticut 5th District, 1959-73; Defeated, 1942, 1972 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html