Minyard History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Minyard is an ancient name whose history on English soil dates back to the wave of emigration that followed the Norman Conquest of England in 1066. The name comes from the Germanic personal name Mainard, which is composed of the elements magin, which means strength, and hard, which means hardy, brave or strong. 
Two sources note entries in the Domesday Book of 1086.  The first notes that " 'Mainardus homo Rogeri Pictavensis,' is mentioned in the Domesday as an under-tenant in Essex and Lincolnshire; and either he or another of the name held Wilts, Hants, and Norfolk, before the Conquest. The early notices of the name are scanty. 'In the hydarium of Henry III. Maynard was certified to hold one hide and half in 'Cherleton' (Charlton), but as the paramountcy of the estate is withheld, no clue is furnished for tracing it to the Domesday lord." 
The second notes Meinardus uigil in Norfolk in the Domesday Book.  Presumably both entries are related but translations from ancient Latin to English are not consistent.
Early Origins of the Minyard family
The surname Minyard was first found in Suffolk at Hoxne, a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Hoxne. "Hoxne Hall, for many generations the residence of the Maynard family. In the north aisle [of the church] is a monument, with a group of figures finely sculptured in marble, to the memory of Sir Thomas Maynard, erected in 1742, by Christopher Stanley, Esq. A school, now in union with the National Society, was founded and endowed by Lord Maynard." 
"The pedigree of the Viscounts Maynard commences in the 14th century with John Mainard of Axminster in Devonshire, who served in France under the Black Prince, and was appointed Constable of Brest in 1352. Sixth in descent from him we find another John Maynard, sitting in Queen Mary's first Parliament as Burgess for St. Albans, and numbered among thirty-nine stout Protestants who were indicted in the King's Bench for absenting themselves from the House rather than join in accepting the Pope's authority in the realm." 
Early record were also found in Scotland. "Bishop Robert was about to set the municipal machinery of St. Andrews in motion (c. 1144) he obtained from the king the services of Mainard, a burgess of Berwick: 'Be it known that with the licence of David our king, I have constituted St. Andrews a burgh and that with the king's consent I have made Mainard the Fleming (Matnardum Flandrensem) provost of this burgh'. Robert Mainard was one of the witnesses to a charter by John de Dundemor to the Priory of May in 1260." 
Early History of the Minyard family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Minyard research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1180, 1589, 1640, 1635, 1640, 1640, 1640, 1623, 1699, 1642, 1718, 1663, 1679, 1641, 1685, 1685, 1577, 1614, 1611, 1602, 1690, 1638, 1662, 1660, 1690, 1775, 1763 and 1769 are included under the topic Early Minyard History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Minyard Spelling Variations
Multitudes of spelling variations are a hallmark of Anglo Norman names. Most of these names evolved in the 11th and 12th century, in the time after the Normans introduced their own Norman French language into a country where Old and Middle English had no spelling rules and the languages of the court were French and Latin. To make matters worse, medieval scribes spelled words according to sound, so names frequently appeared differently in the various documents in which they were recorded. The name was spelled Maynard, Mainard and others.
Early Notables of the Minyard family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was William Maynard, 1st Baron Maynard (c.1589-1640), an English politician, Lord Lieutenant of Essex (1635-1640), Lord Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire (1640) and Custos Rotulorum of Essex in 1640; William Maynard, 2nd Baron Maynard (1623-1699); Banastre Maynard, 3rd Baron Maynard (c 1642-1718), an English politician, Member of Parliament for Essex (1663-1679); Sir William Maynard, 1st Baronet (1641-1685), an English...
In the United States, the name Minyard is the 10,324th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Migration of the Minyard family to Ireland
Some of the Minyard family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Because of this political and religious unrest within English society, many people decided to immigrate to the colonies. Families left for Ireland, North America, and Australia in enormous numbers, traveling at high cost in extremely inhospitable conditions. The New World in particular was a desirable destination, but the long voyage caused many to arrive sick and starving. Those who made it, though, were welcomed by opportunities far greater than they had known at home in England. Many of these families went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Minyard or a variant listed above:
Minyard Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Manus justa nardus
Motto Translation: A just hand is a precious ointment.