on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Minehan family come from? What is the Irish Minehan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Minehan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Minehan family history?The surname Minehan is an anglicized version of the Irish name O Muimhneachain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moynihan, Minihan, Minaghan, Moynaghan, Myneghane, Minighane, Munnighane, Minihane, Minnagh, Mimnagh, Moyna and many more.
First found in County Mayo (Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland in the province of Connacht, where a sept of the Hy Fiachrach group called O Mionachain was mentioned in 1220 by the Four Masters. They were sub-chiefs of Erris.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Minehan research. Another 172 words(12 lines of text) covering the year 1659 is included under the topic Early Minehan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Minehan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Minehan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Biddy Minehan, aged 41, landed in New York, NY in 1851
- Patk. Minehan, aged 25, who landed in America from Clare, in 1892
- Mary Minehan, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Minehan Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hannah Minehan, aged 20, who landed in America from Ballydehob, Ireland, in 1911
- Michael Minehan, aged 44, who landed in America from Dublin, Ireland, in 1913
- Michael Minehan, aged 44, who settled in America from Killalor, Ireland, in 1913
- Margaret Minehan, aged 32, who landed in America from Limerick, Ireland, in 1916
- Julie Minehan, aged 25, who emigrated to America, in 1919
Minehan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas Minehan, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1833
- Catherine Minehan, aged 30, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Thomas Hanford" from Cork
- Cathy E. Minehan (b. 1947), President and Chief Executive Officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
The Minehan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Minehan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 March 2012 at 09:01.
on orders of $85 or more