100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Minahan is an anglicized version of the Irish name O Muimhneachain.
The surname Minahan was first found in County Mayo (Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland in the province of Connacht, where a sept of the Hy Fiachrach group called O Mionachain was mentioned in 1220 by the Four Masters. They were sub-chiefs of Erris.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moynihan, Minihan, Minaghan, Moynaghan, Myneghane, Minighane, Munnighane, Minihane, Minnagh, Mimnagh, Moyna and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Minahan research. Another 172 words (12 lines of text) covering the year 1659 is included under the topic Early Minahan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Minahan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Minahan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Darby Minahan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1826
- Peter Minahan, aged 40, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1837 aboard the barque "Robert Watt" from Cork
- Catherine Minahan, aged 30, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1837 aboard the barque "Robert Watt" from Cork
- Dennis Minahan, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1838 aboard the barque "Pallas" from Cork
- Julia Minahan, aged 25, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1838 aboard the barque "Pallas" from Cork
Minahan Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Bridget Minahan, aged 18, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Nashwauk"
- Alice Minahan, aged 20, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Frenchman"
- Edmund Joseph "Cotton" Minahan (1882-1958), American Major League baseball pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds in 1907
- Robert E. Minahan (1858-1935), American politician, Mayor of Green Bay, Wisconsin (1904-1907)
- Mrs. Lillian E. Minahan, (née Thorpe), aged 37, American First Class passenger from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping in life boat 14
- Miss Daisy E. Minahan, aged 33, American First Class passenger from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping in life boat 14
- Dr. William Edward Minahan (d. 1912), aged 44, American First Class passenger from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking and was recovered by CS Mackay-Bennett
- Daniel Francis Minahan (1877-1947), American Democratic Party politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New Jersey (1919-1921) and (1923-1925)
- Daniel Minahan, American television and film director and writer
- Edmund Joseph Minahan (1882-1958), American track and field athlete who competed at the 1900 Summer Olympics
- Patrick Joseph Minahan (1866-1933), Irish-born Australian politician, Member for Belmore, NSW (1913-1917), and for Sydney (1920-1925) and (1925-1927)
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
The Minahan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Minahan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 December 2015 at 11:33.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!