Milles History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Milles family
The surname Milles was first found in Kent where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Norman influence of English history dominated after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. The family name was first referenced in the 13th century when held estates in that shire. They are believed to have been from Millieres, 8 kilometers NW of St.Dauveur-Landelin in Normandy and were a kin of the great Avranches family.
Early History of the Milles family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Milles research. Another 186 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1510, 1600, 1455, 1487, 1638, 1720, 1671, 1740, 1675, 1746, 1696, 1705 and 1704 are included under the topic Early Milles History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Milles Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Millais, Milliere, Milleres, Milers, Milliers, Millhouse, Millhus, Millus and many more.
Early Notables of the Milles family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Isaac Milles or Mills (1638-1720), an English cleric from Cockfield, Suffolk; and his son, Thomas Milles (1671-1740), Church of Ireland bishop of...
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Milles Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Milles migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Milles Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Tobias Milles, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1643 
- Thomas Milles, who landed in Maryland in 1661 
- Margaret Milles, who landed in Maryland in 1661 
- Mary Milles, who arrived in Virginia in 1664 
- James Milles, who arrived in Virginia in 1664 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Milles Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Milles, aged 16, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1823 
- Juan Milles, aged 28, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1823 
Contemporary Notables of the name Milles (post 1700) +
- May M. Milles, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Allegheny County 12th District, 1926 
- Carl Vilhelm Emil Milles (1875-1955), Swedish/American sculptor
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 14) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html