Mickey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Clan from whom the Mickey family descends began among the ancient Dalriadan kingdom of the west coast of Scotland. Their name comes from the biblical personal name Michael. This name made its way into Scotland after the Norman Conquest in the softened French form Michel.
Early Origins of the Mickey family
The surname Mickey was first found in Aberdeenshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland, where they held a family seat in the lands of Corryhoul from about the year 1300. Traditionally the Clan is descended from a Michael MacDonald of the branch known as the MacDonalds of Keppoch.
Early History of the Mickey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mickey research. Another 82 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1473, 1606, and 1761 are included under the topic Early Mickey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mickey Spelling Variations
Historical recordings of the name Mickey include many spelling variations. They are the result of repeated translations of the name from Gaelic to English and inconsistencies in spelling rules. They include Michie, Mitchie, Mitchy, Michy, Mitchey, Michey and others.
Early Notables of the Mickey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Mickey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mickey migration to the United States +
Significant portions of the populations of both the United States and Canada are still made up of the ancestors of Dalriadan families. Some of those in Canada originally settled the United States, but went north as United Empire Loyalists in the American War of Independence. The late 19th and early 20th centuries saw the ancestors of many Scots on both sides of the border begin to recover their collective national heritage through Clan societies and highland games. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Mickey Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Mickey, who landed in Virginia in 1654 
Mickey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ada Mickey, aged 22, who landed in America, in 1905
- Frank Mickey, aged 48, who immigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Mary Mickey, aged 23, who immigrated to the United States from Dunmanway, Ireland, in 1911
- Yetta Mickey, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1914
- William E Mickey, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Mickey migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mickey Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- James Mickey, aged 23, who immigrated to St. John's, Newfoundland, in 1907
Contemporary Notables of the name Mickey (post 1700) +
- Joseph G. "Joey" Mickey (b. 1970), former professional American football tight end
- J. Ross Mickey (1856-1928), American politician, U.S. Representative from Illinois
- John Hopwood Mickey (1845-1910), American Nebraska republican politician
- Robert Larry Mickey (1943-1982), Canadian professional ice hockey right winger
- Mickey Rooney (1920-2014), born Joseph Yule Jr., American Juvenile Academy Award, Honorary Academy Award, two-time Golden Globe and an Emmy Award winning film actor and entertainer
- Mickey Rocco (1916-1997), American Major League Baseball first baseman who played for the Cleveland Indians (1943-1946)
- Mickey Billingham, English former keyboardist for the band Dexys Midnight Runners
- Mickey Solis, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1980 
- Mickey Jones (1941-2018), American musician and actor; he had 17 gold records from his musical career of over two decades including work with Kenny Rogers and The First Edition, Bob Dylan and Johnny Rivers; he had a recurring role on the ABC sitcom Home Improvement
- Mickey Goulet (b. 1947), Canadian former head coach for the Italian Olympic team (2005-2008)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 28) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html