Meadowcroft History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Meadowcroft is a name whose history is connected to the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Meadowcroft family once lived in the estate of Meadowcroft, which was in the parish of Middleton in the county of Lancashire. The surname Meadowcroft belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Meadowcroft family
The surname Meadowcroft was first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say soon after the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D. Meadowcroft is a small estate in the parish of Middleton near Manchester.
Early History of the Meadowcroft family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Meadowcroft research. Another 77 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1379 and 1581 are included under the topic Early Meadowcroft History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Meadowcroft Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Meadowcroft family name include Meddowcroft, Meaddowcroft, Meducroft, Medowcroft, Meadowcroft, Meadowcraft, Middowcroft, Miducroft, Midowcroft, Midducroft, Medcroft and many more.
Early Notables of the Meadowcroft family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Meadowcroft Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Meadowcroft migration to the United States +
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Meadowcroft surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Meadowcroft Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles, James, John, and Joseph Meadowcroft, who settled in Philadelphia beween 1850 and 1878
Meadowcroft Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- George Meadowcroft, aged 11, who immigrated to America, in 1905
- Besbit Meadowcroft, aged 40, who settled in America from Willington, New Zealand, in 1906
- James Meadowcroft, aged 66, who landed in America, in 1907
- John Meadowcroft, aged 43, who immigrated to the United States from Bolton, England, in 1910
- Fred Meadowcroft, aged 35, who landed in America from Birmingham, England, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Meadowcroft migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Meadowcroft Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Samuel Meadowcroft, English convict from Essex, who was transported aboard the "Argyle" on March 5th, 1831, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia 
- John Meadowcroft, aged 50, a carpenter, who arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Standard" 
- Martha Meadowcroft, aged 20, a domestic servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Standard" 
- Mary A. Meadowcroft, aged 16, a domestic servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Standard" 
Contemporary Notables of the name Meadowcroft (post 1700) +
- Jim Meadowcroft (1946-2015), English professional snooker player, coach and commentator
- Michael James Meadowcroft (b. 1942), English politician, Liberal Member of Parliament for Leeds West
Related Stories +