from whom the McVitty family descends began among the ancient Dalriadan kingdom of the west coast of Scotland
. Their name comes from Veaty. Mac
means son of. MacVitti,
therefore, means son of Vitti.
Over time, the spelling of the name has changed, which is why the MacVitti is descended from Veaty.
Early Origins of the McVitty family
The surname McVitty was first found in Ayrshire
, and Galloway
where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Scotland
to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the McVitty family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McVitty research.Another 239 words (17 lines of text) covering the year 1685 is included under the topic Early McVitty History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McVitty Spelling Variations
Historical recordings of the name McVitty include many spelling variations
. They are the result of repeated translations of the name from Gaelic to English and inconsistencies in spelling rules. They include MacVittie, MacVittye, MacVittae, MacWittie, MacWitty and many more.
Early Notables of the McVitty family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McVitty Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McVitty family to the New World and Oceana
Significant portions of the populations of both the United States and Canada are still made up of the ancestors of Dalriadan families. Some of those in Canada originally settled the United States, but went north as United Empire Loyalists in the American War of Independence
. The late 19th and early 20th centuries saw the ancestors of many Scots on both sides of the border begin to recover their collective national heritage through Clan
societies and highland games. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
McVitty Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ellen McVitty, aged 21, who settled in America, in 1895
McVitty Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William McVitty, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Donegal, in 1907
- Francis McVitty, aged 20, who landed in America from Baronboy, Ireland, in 1911
- Alice McVitty, aged 19, who landed in America from Baronboy, Ireland, in 1911
- Ruth McVitty, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1913
- Maude McVitty, aged 34, who settled in America from Leeds, England, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
McVitty Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- W. McVitty, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Tongariro" in 1888
Contemporary Notables of the name McVitty (post 1700)
- John McVitty (1926-1956), American NASCAR Grand National driver
- Alexander McVitty, American politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly, 1920, 1921 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 14) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html