McMenemy History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The McMenemy surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic "Mac Meanman," a patronymic surname, created from the personal (first) name Meanma, which means "spirited."
Early Origins of the McMenemy family
The surname McMenemy was first found in Tirconnell (Irish: Tír Chonaill) present day Donegal, located in Northwestn Ireland in the province of Ulster, where they held a family seat as Chiefs in that territory. Irish history, after the Norman Conquest of England, was strongly influenced by the invasion of Strongbow in 1172. Many Irish clanns, sept names were intermixed and family groupings became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Mayo and in Donegal at Letterkenny and Ballybofey. Still later they branched to Tyrone at Omagh Union.
Early History of the McMenemy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McMenemy research. Another 80 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McMenemy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McMenemy Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: McNemanin, McManamon, McMenamy, McManaway, McManamin, McManamy, McMenamen, McMenemen, McMenimin and many more.
Early Notables of the McMenemy family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McMenemy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McMenemy family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Daniel McMenamen, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1777; John McMenaman, who came to St. John, N.B. sometime between 1833 and 1838; James McMenamin, who settled in Philadelphia in 1838.
Contemporary Notables of the name McMenemy (post 1700) +
- Dorian McMenemy (1996-2012), Dominican Republic competitive swimmer at the 2012 Summer Olympics
- Simon McMenemy (b. 1977), English football manager
- Shayne McMenemy (b. 1976), Australian rugby league player
- Neil McMenemy (1967-1990), Scottish retired triple jumper who competed in the 1990s
- Lawrie McMenemy MBE (b. 1936), English footballer and manager, one of the twenty most successful managers in post-war English football
- James "Jimmy" McMenemy (1880-1965), Scottish footballer and later assistant manager to Willie Maley in 1934
- Harry McMenemy (b. 1912), Scottish footballer from Glasgow, Scotland who made nearly 150 appearances in the Football League
Related Stories +