The McMenamy surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic "Mac Meanman," a patronymic
surname, created from the personal (first) name Meanma, which means "spirited."
Early Origins of the McMenamy family
The surname McMenamy was first found in Tirconnell (Irish: Tír Chonaill) present day Donegal
, located in Northwestn Ireland
in the province of Ulster
, where they held a family seat
as Chiefs in that territory. Irish history, after the Norman Conquest
, was strongly influenced by the invasion of Strongbow
in 1172. Many Irish clanns, sept names were intermixed and family groupings became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Mayo and in Donegal
at Letterkenny and Ballybofey. Still later they branched to Tyrone
at Omagh Union.
Early History of the McMenamy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McMenamy research.Another 214 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McMenamy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McMenamy Spelling Variations
of this family name include: McNemanin, McManamon, McMenamy, McManaway, McManamin, McManamy, McMenamen, McMenemen, McMenimin and many more.
Early Notables of the McMenamy family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McMenamy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McMenamy family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McMenamy Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James McMenamy, aged 62, who arrived in Missouri in 1848 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
McMenamy Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John McMenamy, aged 22, a labourer, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Earl Granville" in 1880
- Margaret McMenamy, aged 43, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Earl Granville" in 1880
- Margaret McMenamy, aged 20, a servant, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Earl Granville" in 1880
- Mary McMenamy, aged 18, a servant, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Earl Granville" in 1880
Contemporary Notables of the name McMenamy (post 1700)
- Lily Camille McMenamy (b. 1994), American-born, English model and actress, daughter of Kristen McMenamy
- Kristen McMenamy (b. 1964), American model
- Robbie McMenamy, Irish gold medalist at the Men's Semi-Contact at WAKO World Championships 2007 Coimbra -74 kg
- Jamie McMenamy, Canadian musician from Nova Scotia, member of the Battlefield Band