on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
There are many Irish surnames being used today in forms that are quite different than their original, ancient forms. McManus originally appeared in Gaelic as Mac Maghnuis, which means son of Manus. The personal name
Manus, imported into Ireland
by the Norse, is ultimately derived from the Latin forename Magnus.
The surname McManus was first found in County Roscommon
(Irish: Ros Comáin) located in central Ireland
in the province of Connacht
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Names from the Middle Ages demonstrate many spelling variations. This is because the recording scribe or church official often decided as to how a person's name was spelt and in what language. Research into the name McManus revealed many variations, including MacManus, MacManners, McManus, Manus and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McManus research. Another 404 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1172 and 1181 are included under the topic Early McManus History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Another 23 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McManus Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Thousands of Irish families
left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name McManus:
McManus Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bernard McManus, who landed in America in 1804
- Bryan McManus, who landed in New York, NY in 1804
- Owen McManus, who landed in America in 1806
- William McManus, aged 26, arrived in New York, NY in 1806
- Patrick McManus, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
McManus Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- G. or C. McManus, aged 20, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1833 aboard the ship "Ward" from Limerick, Ireland
- Kitty McManus arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick aboard the ship "Zephyr" in 1833
- John McManus arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
- Hugh McManus, aged 34, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1834 aboard the ship "Britannia" from Sligo, Ireland
- Kitty McManus, aged 30, arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1834 aboard the ship "Britannia" from Sligo, Ireland
McManus Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henry McManus, aged 20, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "British Empire"
- Ellen McManus, aged 22, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "British Empire"
- Mary McManus, aged 24, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "British Empire"
- Ellen McManus, aged 22, a servant, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "British Empire" in 1850
- Catherine McManus, aged 18, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Nashwauk"
McManus Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Hugh McManus, aged 33, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Shamrock" in 1855
- Joseph McManus, aged 29, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Steinwarder" in 1864
- Jane McManus, aged 25, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Steinwarder" in 1864
- Alexander McManus, aged 8 days, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Steinwarder" in 1864
- Catherine McManus, aged 22, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1878
- Shawn McManus (b. 1958), American comic book artist who has worked for DC Comics for over 30 years
- Father Seán Gabriel McManus (b. 1944), American-based Irish nationalist activist and Roman Catholic priest
- Patrick A. McManus (1859-1917), Irish-born, American Major League Baseball pitcher
- George McManus (1884-1954), American cartoonist, best known as the creator of his syndicated comic strip, Bringing Up Father
- Louis McManus (1898-1968), Emmy award-winning American television engineer and film editor
- James McManus (b. 1951), American poker player, novelist, and poet
- Danny McManus (b. 1965), American and Canadian football quarterback
- John Patrick McManus (b. 1951), Irish businessman and racehorse owner
- Peter McManus (1829-1859), Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Shaun John McManus (b. 1976), former Australian rules footballer
- Mr. Henry John McManus, British Fireman from United Kingdom who worked aboard the Empress of Ireland and died in the sinking on May 29th 1914
- Mr. David Mcmanus, British Ordinary Seaman, who sailed in to battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and survived the sinking
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The McManus Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McManus Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 May 2016 at 15:52.
on orders of $85 or more