McGannon History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Hundreds of years ago, the Gaelic name used by the McGannon family in Ireland was Mag Fhionnain, derived from the word "fionn," which means "fair."
Early Origins of the McGannon family
The surname McGannon was first found in County Mayo (Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland in the province of Connacht, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the McGannon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McGannon research. Another 65 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1798 is included under the topic Early McGannon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McGannon Spelling Variations
The recording of names in Ireland during the Middle Ages was an inconsistent endeavor at best. Since the general population did not know how to read or write, they could only specify how their names should be recorded orally. Research into the name McGannon revealed spelling variations, including Gannon, Ganon and others.
Early Notables of the McGannon family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McGannon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McGannon migration to the United States +
A great mass of Ireland's native population left the island in the 19th century, seeking relief from various forms of social, religious, and economic discrimination. This Irish exodus was primarily to North America. If the migrants survived the long ocean journey, many unfortunately would find more discrimination in the colonies of British North America and the fledgling United States of America. These newly arrived Irish were, however, wanted as a cheap source of labor for the many large agricultural and industrial projects that were essential to the development of what would become two of the wealthiest nations in the western world. Early immigration and passenger lists indicate many people bearing the McGannon name:
McGannon Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James McGannon, aged 26, who immigrated to America, in 1895
McGannon Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mary McGannon, aged 20, who immigrated to the United States from Quilty, Ireland, in 1909
- Joseph McGannon, aged 26, who landed in America from Belfast, Ireland, in 1911
- Thomas McGannon, aged 19, who landed in America from Quilty, Ireland, in 1915
McGannon migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McGannon Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Edward McGannon, aged 22, who immigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1911
- Cora McGannon, aged 39, who settled in Brockville, Canada, in 1913
Contemporary Notables of the name McGannon (post 1700) +
- Donald H. McGannon (1920-1984), American Chairman of the Westinghouse Broadcasting Company
- J. G. McGannon, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 1892 
Related Stories +