on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish McFall family come from? What is the Scottish McFall family crest and coat of arms? When did the McFall family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McFall family history?The Picts of ancient Scotland were the tribe of the ancestors of the McFall family. The name McFall is derived from the personal name Paul. The Gaelic form of the name is Mac Phàil.
Scribes in the Middle Ages did not have access to a set of spelling rules. They spelled according to sound, the result was a great number of spelling variations. In various documents, McFall has been spelled MacPhail, MacPhial, MacPhiel, MacFail, MacFall, MacFaul, MacVail, MacPhale, MacPail, MacPhaul, MacFale, Phail, Fayle and many more.
First found in Inverness, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McFall research. Another 168 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1490 and 1533 are included under the topic Early McFall History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McFall Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McFall family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 124 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The cruelties suffered under the new government forced many to leave their ancient homeland for the freedom of the North American colonies. Those who arrived safely found land, freedom, and opportunity for the taking. These hardy settlers gave their strength and perseverance to the young nations that would become the United States and Canada. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the name McFall:
McFall Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James McFall, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1802
- Mrs. McFall, aged 20, landed in America in 1822
- Arthur, Daniel, James, John, Patrick, and William McFall, who all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
- Bridget McFall, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1894
McFall Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Calvert McFall, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1900
- Calvin McFall, aged 30, who settled in America from S. Africa, in 1902
- Agnes McFall, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Belfast, in 1904
- Agnes McFall, aged 30, who landed in America from Liverpool, in 1904
- Daniel McFall, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1904
McFall Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Peter McFall, who landed in Canada in 1831
- Robert McFall, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the schooner "Sarah" from Belfast
- John Joseph McFall (1918-2006), former Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives
- Jack Kirkham McFall (1905-1990), American diplomat
- Lauren McFall (b. 1980), American bronze medalist synchronized swimmer at the 2004 Summer Olympics
- Dan McFall (b. 1963), American retired professional NHL ice hockey player
- David Bernard McFall (1919-1988), Scottish sculptor
- John Francis McFall (b. 1944), Baron McFall of Alcluith, British Labour Co-operative politician
- John McFall (b. 1981), British Paralympic sprinter
- Ronald Joseph "Ronnie" McFall MBE, former football player
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The McFall Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McFall Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 June 2014 at 12:15.
on orders of $85 or more