McElfresh History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient Dalriadan kingdom consisted of the Hebrides islands, and the rugged mountains of Scotland west coast. The name McElfresh began in this region; it was a nickname for a young man with tanned skin or with tawny hair with darker streaks. The Gaelic form of the name is Mac 'Ille riabhaich, which means son of the brindled lad.
Early Origins of the McElfresh family
The surname McElfresh was first found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from very early times.
Important Dates for the McElfresh family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McElfresh research. Another 216 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1376, 1476, 1508 and 1526 are included under the topic Early McElfresh History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McElfresh Spelling Variations
Medieval spelling was at best an intuitive process, and translation between Gaelic and English was no more effective. These factors caused an enormous number of spelling variations in Dalriadan names. In fact, it was not uncommon to see a father and son who spelled their name differently. Over the years, McElfresh has been spelled Macilreach, McIlreach, MacIlreath, McIlreath, Macilriach, McIlriach, Macilraith, McIlraith, Macilaraith, McIlaraith, Macilarith, McIlarith, Macilwraith, McIlwraith, Macilwraithe, McIlwraithe, MacIlwrathe, McIlwrathe, MacKilwrath, McKilwrath, MacKilwrathe, McKilwrathe, Macgfillreich, McFillreich, Macileriach, McIleriach, Macillrich, McIllrich, Macilurick, McIlurick, Macilwrick, McIlwrick, MacIlwrith, McIlwrith, MacIlrevie, McIlrevie, MacKilreve, McKilreve, MacKilrea, McKilrea, MacElrath, McElrath, MacElreath, McElreath, McElvrick, MacElvrick, McIllrie, MacIllrie, MacAlwraith, McAlwraith, Revie, McRevie and many more.
Early Notables of the McElfresh family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McElfresh Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McElfresh family to Ireland
Some of the McElfresh family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McElfresh migration to the United States
These settlers arrived in North America at a time when the east was burgeoning with prosperous colonies and the expanses of the west were just being opened up. The American War of Independence was also imminent. Some Scots stayed to fight for a new country, while others who remained loyal went north as United Empire Loyalists. The ancestors of all of them went on to rediscover their heritage in the 20th century through highland games and other patriotic Scottish events. The McElfresh were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Typical McElfresh Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
McElfresh Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Francis McElfresh, aged 7, who landed in America from Wellington, MA, in 1914
- George M. McElfresh, aged 38, who settled in East Akron, Ohio, in 1914
- Georginia McElfresh, aged 42, who immigrated to Wellington, MA, in 1914
- William McElfresh, aged 46, who immigrated to Wellington, MA, in 1914
- E. H. McElfresh, who immigrated to America, in 1916
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name McElfresh (post 1700)
- Clarence Newton McElfresh, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Nebraska, 1916
- Justin McElfresh, American actor, known for his roles in Kingdom of Earth (2009), The New Year (2010) and The Beach Party at the Threshold of Hell (2006)
- Andrew McElfresh, American BET Comedy Award winning writer, known for his work on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (165 episodes), White Chicks (2004), Rocket Power (1999) and The Jay Leno Show (21 episodes)
- David McElfresh (b. 1980), American director and writer, known for his work on Royal Pains (2009), Company Retreat (2009) and The Red Road (2014)
- Kathleen McElfresh, American actress, known for her roles in Love, Lots of It (2011), A Lotus 'Til Reckoning (2013) and Anything for You (2010)
- Matt McElfresh (b. 1982), American producer
- Robert McElfresh (b. 1962), former Australian Rules footballer
You May Also Like