on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname McCooey was first found in County Cork
(Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland
in the province of Munster
, where they trace their origins through Amhailgadh, brother of Flaitheartach on the Maguire pedigree. He was in turn ancestor of MacAodh. 
This line was native Irish, not to be confused with the group who descend from Mary MacCoy, wife of Duncan Campbell, of Inverary, Scotland
who settled in Ulster
, part of the Plantation of Ireland
. They held lands in Londonderry.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacCoy, MacCooey and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCooey research. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1839, 1872, 1832, 1899, 1715 and 1774 are included under the topic Early McCooey History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 59 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McCooey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Daniel MacCoy settled in Virginia in 1716; along with Denis, his wife Catherine; Hugh, John, Patrick, and Paul MacCoy settled there between 1716 and 1720.
- John Henry McCooey Jr. (1899-1948), American Democrat politician, Justice of New York Supreme Court 2nd District, 1932-48
- John Henry McCooey (1864-1934), American Democrat politician, Chair of Kings County Democratic Party, 1910-34; Presidential Elector for New York, 1932; Member of Democratic National Committee from New York, 1933-34
- James H. McCooey, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1936, 1940
- Frank W. McCooey, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1924, 1928
- ^ O'Hart, John, Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4)
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The McCooey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McCooey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 May 2016 at 13:13.
on orders of $85 or more