McConnachie History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
McConnachie comes from the ancient Dalriadan clans of Scotland's west coast and Hebrides islands. The name comes from the personal name Robert. Known as the Clan Donnachaidh, the family's origins are very distinguished, as the senior branch of the line were the hereditary abbots of Dunkeld, who traced their descent from Iona. In addition, Abbot Duncan of Dunkeld, the Robertson progenitor, was killed in battle in 964, as he led the warriors, bearing, a reliquary of St. Columba. His grandson, Abbot Crinan of Dunkeld, married the Kings daughter and then fathered King Duncan I of Scotland who was killed by MacBeth (of Shakespearean fame). Crinan is buried at the Isle of lona, burial place of Scotland's early Kings.
Early Origins of the McConnachie family
The surname McConnachie was first found in Atholl. King Duncan's younger son, Maelmore, sired Madadh, Earl of Atholl, and his grandson, Earl Henry, was father to Conan who held vast territories in this area. Conan of Glenerochie was the first Chief of the Robertsons and gave his name to the Clan Connchaidh or Duncan. His successor, Duncan, the 5th Chief, led the Clan in the army of King Bruce at Bannockburn in 1314 against the English. For this service, and his subsequent staunch support of the Scottish Crown, his grandson Robert of Struan was granted the lands and barony in 1451.
Important Dates for the McConnachie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McConnachie research. Another 403 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1745, 1587, 1703, 1715, 1723, 1727, 1745, 1749, 1784, 1746, 1668 and 1689 are included under the topic Early McConnachie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McConnachie Spelling Variations
The translation of Gaelic names in the Middle Ages was not a task undertaken with great care. Records from that era show an enormous number of spelling variations, even in names referring to the same person. Over the years McConnachie has appeared as Robertson, MacConachie, Maconachie, MacConaghy, MacConchie, MacConckey, MacConkey, MacDonnachie, MacDonachie, MacDunnachie, MacInroy, MacLagan, Mac Raibeirt (Gaelic) and many more.
Early Notables of the McConnachie family (pre 1700)
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McConnachie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McConnachie family to Ireland
Some of the McConnachie family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 64 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McConnachie migration to the United States
Many of the ancestors of Dalriadan families who arrived in North America still live in communities along the east coast of Canada and the United States. In the American War of Independence many of the original settlers traveled north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries the ancestors of many Scots began recovering their collective national heritage through Clan societies, highland games, and other patriotic events. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name McConnachie or a variant listed above:
McConnachie Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William McConnachie, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1770 
McConnachie Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James McConnachie, aged 63, who settled in America, in 1896
McConnachie Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Andrea McConnachie, aged 20, who landed in America from Ayashere, Scotland, in 1904
- Jemmie McConnachie, aged 23, who immigrated to the United States from Greenhill, Scotland, in 1906
- John McConnachie, aged 25, who landed in America from Greenhill, Scotland, in 1906
- Lizzie McConnachie, aged 4, who immigrated to the United States from Greenhill, Scotland, in 1906
- Jessie McConnachie, aged 27, who immigrated to America from Dunblane, Scotland, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name McConnachie (post 1700)
- Brian McConnachie (b. 1942), American Primetime Emmy Award winning humor writer and comedy writer, known for his work on SCTV Network (1981), Saturday Night Live (1975) and Encyclopedia (1988)
- Alistair McConnachie, Scottish Leader of the Independent Green Voice, an environmentalist political party in Scotland
- Colonel William McConnachie (1848-1932), Scottish businessman and politician, Justice of the Peace for Aberdeenshire
- Dr. Alan McConnachie, Canadian leader of the Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics (NRC-HIA)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)