The ancient Pictish-Scottish family that first used the name McClune lived in the lands of Clunie in Stormmot, Perthshire
where the name can be found since very early times.
Early Origins of the McClune family
The surname McClune was first found in Perthshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the McClune family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McClune research.Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1214 and 1296 are included under the topic Early McClune History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McClune Spelling Variations
The arts of spelling and translation were yet in their infancies when surnames began, so there are an enormous number of spelling variations
of the names in early Scottish records. This is a particular problem with Scottish names because of the numerous times a name might have been loosely translated to English from Gaelic and back. McClune has been spelled Clunie, Clooney, Cloon, Cloone, Clowney, Clune, Cluney, Clunis and many more.
Early Notables of the McClune family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McClune Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McClune family to the New World and Oceana
This oppression forced many Scots to leave their homelands. Most of these chose North America as their destination. Although the journey left many sick and poor, these immigrants were welcomed the hardy with great opportunity. Many of these settlers stood up for their newfound freedom in the American War of Independence
. More recently, Scots abroad have recovered much of their collective heritage through highland games and other patriotic functions and groups. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has located various settlers bearing the name McClune:
McClune Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Lizzie McClune, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1892
- James McClune, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States, in 1893
- Mary McClune, aged 35, who settled in America, in 1895
- Saml. McClune, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Carrickmacross, in 1896
McClune Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John McClune, aged 36, who settled in America, in 1903
- Malcolm McClune, aged 5, who emigrated to the United States from Belfast, Ireland, in 1907
- Samuel McClune, aged 33, who landed in America from Coventry, England, in 1907
- James McClune, aged 19, who landed in America from Belfast, Ireland, in 1907
- Annie McClune, aged 15, who emigrated to America from Belfast, Ireland, in 1907
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name McClune (post 1700)
- Mr. McClune (b. 1922), American actor, known for The Light in the Dark
- Michael McClune (b. 1989), American professional tennis player who signed a lucrative contract with Nike in 2007