McCarey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
McCarey comes from the ancient Dalriadan clans of Scotland's west coast and Hebrides islands. The name comes from the name Macara, which is the Gaelic word for son of the young, manly one.
Early Origins of the McCarey family
The surname McCarey was first found in Perthshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the McCarey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCarey research. Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1690, 1745, and 1815 are included under the topic Early McCarey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McCarey Spelling Variations
The translation of Gaelic names in the Middle Ages was not a task undertaken with great care. Records from that era show an enormous number of spelling variations, even in names referring to the same person. Over the years McCarey has appeared as McAree, MacAree, McAra, MacAra, McArra, MacArra, McCarra, MacCarra, McCarry, MacCarry, McCarrie and many more.
Early Notables of the McCarey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McCarey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McCarey family to Ireland
Some of the McCarey family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 106 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| McCarey migration to the United States ||+|
Many of the ancestors of Dalriadan families who arrived in North America still live in communities along the east coast of Canada and the United States. In the American War of Independence many of the original settlers traveled north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries the ancestors of many Scots began recovering their collective national heritage through Clan societies, highland games, and other patriotic events. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name McCarey or a variant listed above:
McCarey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James McCarey, aged 20, originally from Donegal, Ireland, who arrived in New York in 1892 aboard the ship "Ethiopia" from Moville, Ireland 
McCarey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William McCarey, aged 23, who arrived in New York in 1919 aboard the ship "Mauretania" from Southampton, England 
- John Mc Carey, aged 18, originally from Barratitoppy, Ireland, who arrived in New York in 1920 aboard the ship "Adriatic" from Southampton, England 
- Robert Mc Carey, aged 40, who arrived in New York City, New York in 1920 aboard the ship "Carmania" from Liverpool, England 
- Thomas Mc Carey, aged 44, originally from Abbeyshrule, Ireland, who arrived in New York in 1920 aboard the ship "Caronia" from Liverpool, England 
| McCarey migration to Canada ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McCarey Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Patrick McCarey, aged 50, a farmer, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1833 aboard the brig "Silestria" from Belfast, Ireland
- Ann McCarey, aged 18, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1833 aboard the brig "Silestria" from Belfast, Ireland
- William McCarey, aged 6, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1833 aboard the brig "Silestria" from Belfast, Ireland
|Contemporary Notables of the name McCarey (post 1700) ||+|
- Kevin McCarey, American Emmy and Peabody Award winning filmmaker and author
- Raymond Benedict "Ray" McCarey (1904-1948), American film director, brother of Leo McCarey
- Leo McCarey (1898-1969), American three-time Academy Award winning film director, screenwriter and producer
- Aaron McCarey (b. 1992), Irish football goalkeeper