McCants History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Dalriadan clans of ancient Scotland spawned the ancestors of the McCants family. Their name comes from the given name Ian or John. John is the most common personal name in the Highlands. The Gaelic form of the name is Mac Iain.
Early Origins of the McCants family
The surname McCants was first found in Argyllshire (Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the McCants family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCants research. Another 166 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1340, 1292, 1808, 1875, 1618, 1717, 1777, 1667 and are included under the topic Early McCants History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McCants Spelling Variations
The medieval practice of spelling according to sound and repeated translation between Gaelic and English created many spelling variations of the same name. McCants has been recorded as MacIan, MacAne, MacKane, MacKean, MacKain and others.
Early Notables of the McCants family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the Clan from early times was Archibald McKain (1717-1777), Scottish Shoemaker and Burgess of Elgin, Morayshire, who became the 15th Chief of MacIain of Ardnamurchan. Also of note was Thomas M'kean of Delaware, one of the signers of the American Declaration of Independence.
John Canne (d. 1667?)...
Another 48 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McCants Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name McCants is the 4,626th most popular surname with an estimated 7,461 people with that name. 
Migration of the McCants family to Ireland
Some of the McCants family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 80 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McCants family
Descendents of Dalriadan-Scottish families still populate many communities across North America. They are particularly common in Canada, since many went north as United Empire Loyalists at the time of the American War of Independence. Much later, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the highland games and Clan societies that now dot North America sprang up, allowing many Scots to recover their lost national heritage. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name McCants, or a variant listed above: John MacKane settled in Carolina in 1806; Alexander, John, Peter, Thomas MacKane all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860; James MacKean settled in Carolina in 1767.
|Contemporary Notables of the name McCants (post 1700) ||+|
- Alvin Keith McCants (1968-2021), American professional football player who was a linebacker for six seasons in the National Football League (NFL) for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Houston Oilers, and the Arizona Cardinals from 1990 to 1995
- Elliott Crayton McCants (1865-1953), American author and educator, inducted into the South Carolina Academy of Authors in 1996
- Tom McCants (b. 1962), retired American high jumper who competed at the 1987 and 1989 World Indoor Championships
- Edward "Ed" McCants (b. 1981), American basketball player
- Melvin Lamont "Mel" McCants (b. 1967), retired American basketball player
- Darnerien McCants (b. 1977), American former NFL and CFL football wide receiver who played from 2001 to 2009
- Allen Gauthier McCants (1875-1953), American football player and head football coach at the University of Alabama in 1897
- Rashanda McCants (b. 1986), American professional WNBA women's basketball player, sister of Rashad McCants
- Rashad Dion McCants (b. 1984), American professional basketball player
- Matthew "Matt" McCants (b. 1989), American NFL football offensive tackle for the Oakland Raiders