McCanless History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the McCanless family
The surname McCanless was first found in Galloway (Gaelic: Gall-ghaidhealaibh), an area of southwestern Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Dumfries and Galloway, that formerly consisted of the counties of Wigtown (West Galloway) and Kirkcudbright (East Galloway), where they held a family seat in Western Scotland. After the Norman Conquest of England many of Duke William's rebellious Barons moved north. The border became a convenient but turbulent no-man's land where the persecuted found haven. Many were given land by King Malcolm Canmore and later by King David of Scotland. Some Gallowegians were native Scots, some were Irish clans mostly from Ulster in the 13th century. The name was first recorded in Scotland about the 15th century in Wigtown. They may also have been McCanish sept of Atholl to the north.
Important Dates for the McCanless family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCanless research. Another 84 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1794 is included under the topic Early McCanless History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McCanless Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: McCandlish, McAndliss, McCandless, McChandliss, McChandlish, McChandless, McCandliss, McCaunless, McCaunles, McKanless, McCanless, Candlish and many more.
Early Notables of the McCanless family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McCanless Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McCanless family to Ireland
Some of the McCanless family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McCanless migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McCanless Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth McCanless, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1740 
- James McCanless, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1740 
- William McCanless, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1740 
Contemporary Notables of the name McCanless (post 1700)
- Hix McCanless, American architect, surveyor, and civil engineer of Ennis, Texas, active in the early 20th century
- Hix McCanless, American architect, surveyor, and civil engineer of Ennis, Texas
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)