Maybe History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Maybe family
The surname Maybe was first found in Kirkcudbrightshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Chille Chuithbheirt), part of the present day Council Area of Dumfries and Galloway, former county in Southwestern Scotland, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Much farther to the south in Cornwall, England we found this interesting entry as to the parish of Mabe in Cornwall:
"This parish, which is neither large nor populous, is in the deanery and east division of the hundred of Kirrier. It is situated about two miles and a half nearly north-west from Penryn, and contains but little to recommend it to particular notice. On the origin of its name many doubts have been entertained. As a distinct parish its antiquity cannot be compared to that of many other parishes; since it was formerly appropriated to the rich college of Glaseney, at Penryn, and in conjunction with Milor, it forms at present only a consolidated vicarage. In some old records this parish bears the name of Lavabe or Lavapper, and at other times Lan-Mabe, which implies the church of Mabe.' 
Father Mapple is a fictional character in Herman Melville's novel Moby-Dick (1851); eponym of Mapple Glacier, in the Aristotle Mountains of Antarctica.
Early History of the Maybe family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Maybe research. Another 95 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 120 and 1200 are included under the topic Early Maybe History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Maybe Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mabbe, Mabee, Mabey, Mabie, Mabes and others.
Early Notables of the Maybe family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Maybe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Maybe migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Maybe Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Abraham Maybe U.E. who settled in Adolphus Town [Adolphustown], Ontario c. 1784 
- Levinha Maybe U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784 
- Mr. John Maybe U.E. who settled in Ernest Town [Ernestown], Lennox & Addington, Ontario c. 1786 he served in Butlers Rangers 
Related Stories +
- ^ Hutchins, Fortescue, The History of Cornwall, from the Earliest Records and Traditions to the Present Time. London: William Penaluna, 1824. Print
- ^ Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X