on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Maxey family come from? What is the English Maxey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Maxey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Maxey family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Maxey, Maxie, Max, Maxy, Maxse, Maxsey and others.
First found in Northampton where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Maxey research. Another 344 words (25 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1510, 1600, and 1617 are included under the topic Early Maxey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Maxey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Maxey Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Sarah Maxey, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
Maxey Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Bridget Maxey, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1824
- B. M. Maxey, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1908
- George Wendell Maxey (b. 1878), American Republican politician, Lackawanna County District Attorney, 1914-20; Common Pleas Court Judge in Pennsylvania 45th District, 1920-30
- Fred Maxey, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Tennessee, 1944, 1948
- Carol Lee Maxey, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Colorado, 1960
- Carl Maxey (1924-1997), American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Senator from Washington, 1970
- Glen Maxey, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1980, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008; Member of Texas State House of Representatives, 2002. Gay
- H. O. Maxey, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 1916
- J. H. Maxey, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oklahoma, 1928
- John Reese Maxey, American Democrat politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates 66th District, 2012
- Powhaten Woolridge Maxey (1810-1876), American politician, Mayor of Nashville, Tennessee, 1843-44
- The Barrens by Emery H. White.
- The Maxeys of Virginia by Edythe Maxey Clark.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Maxey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Maxey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 October 2015 at 15:32.
on orders of $85 or more